6mm Dasher CI 450 Vs. Fed 205M

G

Gary Morgan

My gun has been shooting well with 205Ms, but it is new, and I want to explore all avenues. SHould I just substiture the CCI 450 for the 205M and keep the RL15 the same, or should I lower the powder by three-tenths first?

Your profile implies that you've been shooting BR for 8yrs, and you've managed to form dasher brass.
So you already know the answer..
What do you REALLY want?

When shooting with 205's you will eventually pierce primers. The cups are not heavy enough to hold up to the pressures. Matt

Mon Dieu!

We run the PPC, with 205Ms, to 70,000 pounds or a bit more. At these pressures, brass is trashed after one (point-blank) match. You're saying you run the Dasher pressures higher?

I always thought using the 450's was a matter of good ignition, not withstanding pressure.

6mm Dasher and 450s

Kay, thanks for the info. It matches up perfectly with what I found out this morning at the range. I haven't yet had piercing problems with the 205M, but the 450s seem to have done away with a flyer I have been getting. I worked at 100 yards this morning and it was shooting between .2 and .25 five-shot groups with 33.2 and 33.5. Took it from there to the 520 yard range I have available and shot back to back a 1.6 and a 2.1inch group, and there was enough mirage at 12:15 p.m. to make up half of those group sizes. Now, if it will only do it tomorrow too.

Thanks for your informative reply.

Gary, you must be shooting the match D. Jones has been running. I get his e-mails and match results, and will be watching to see how you come out. Tell him Tim said Hi and keep us posted if and when the range gets a full 600 yds and a IBS sanction. I`d love to be able to come down and shoot with you guys. Good luck tomorrow, Tim

Match tomorrow

Tim, you're right. I'm shooting in Darrell's match tomorrow. We're really lucky the old Texan came to Birmingham. Things have been hopping since his arrival. We have a really fun time in our club matches, both 100 yard and 520 yard. I'm not sure exactly when or how we are going to get to 600, but I'd like to see it happen.

good luck gary-i was trading notes with darrel just this week. i told him you were the guy!

any of you guys got a ppc fast twist that you are shooting 8208xbr in?

if so i would like to compare notes via pm.

Ray

Ray, sorry, but I don't know anyone using a PPC with a fast twist. Used to be an older gentleman that shot at Oak RIdge with one that was Ackleyized, I believe. He's well known among shooter, but I can't remember his name right now. Is it Jerry Sherer or something like that?

Charles; i don't know if its pressure or what but i do know you will pierce 205's. It might be the 8 twist that causes this. A lot of people are using BR 2's as well and they seem to hold up also. It seems most of the people using R 15 use the 450 and the ones using Varget use BR2's. At least that what i see. Matt

thanks gary
actually i am looking for info on 87-88 grainers with 8208xbr in the ppc. i have a purty good load worked up. the load is rather warm and we have been pretty cool up here.. soon i will see some hot weather out doggin and i am concerned about the heat causing a problem.

i have been down that road with holes in the feds so i tested some of the 450's down at rachels glen last month with ultras just to see how they acted.

the cci 450 primers i am using may not blow and right now the bolt pops right open just fine.. but in 104 degrees well......

Gary

.In our Dashers using RE15 33.1 - 33.5 will give you 3025-3050 fps and best accuracy out of 28-30 inch barrels.
Lynnsghost

Kay,

You did not mention what bullet you are shooting.

I have been considering trying the RE 15. I am currently shooting Varget with 105 grain Scenars. But I am not a big Varget fan.

Thanks for any info you would like to share.

Randy

Thanks,

Randy
I shoot 103 Spencers 105 Berger BT Match 107 Sierras and 108 Eubers all with the same load.
LynnsGhost

Thanks Kay,

I shot the Bergers for a long time, but had some unexplained misses. I went to the Lapua Scenar and found more consistancey.

I have always like the RE powders in my hunting rigs, never tried it in the Dasher. Guess it is time to try it.

Thanks,
4747.jpg
Randy

Anyone have experience with 8208 in a Dasher with 105's.

I have been shooting a XP-100 Dasher, 16" 8twist barrel with 105 Amax bullet and 31.6 grains of IMR 8208, been working great.

I have not tried the 8208 with a 28" barrel, seems a little fast for the longer barrel.

Any thoughts?

Randy

Randy, my most accurate Dasher load has been with XBR powder pushing a 105 Hunting VLD Berger. I had to give up on my load when summer (in LA) came and the pressures were too much. I won't list the amount, but I started getting ejector marks on my brass so I went to Varget and H4895. Good shooting....James

Thanks James,

I got the 8208 to shoot pretty good, but was blanking primers. So I settled on a load of RE 15. This winter, I will give it another try.

I have been very happy with the XBR in my PPCs. We shoot in a tunnel, so the temperature is always pretty cool and consistant.

Randy

Back