6mm ackley

Bro.D

Could someone please give me rhe C.O.L. for the 6mm ackley? Thanks for the technical support. Bro.D

Could someone please give me rhe C.O.L. for the 6mm ackley? Thanks for the technical support. Bro.D

That is a very general question. With what bullet seated? 107g SMKs won't fit, not even with an extended box installed. 80g-87g Hornaday varmint bullets will, just barely.

That is a very general question. With what bullet seated? 107g SMKs won't fit, not even with an extended box installed. 80g-87g Hornaday varmint bullets will, just barely.

Sorry...i should have said trim length. Some of my brass is getting a bit long and I want to uniform them but do not have access to the reamer print. What is the standard trim length?

The parent case is the 6mm Remington. The version I have is the 40deg. shoulder. Bro.D

So you have a 6mm Rem AI.

Check magazine length if you want to feed them.
If not check lead length to the start of the rifling.

It depends on exactly the rifle and what you are trying to accomplish.

The last barrel I had in 6mm Ram AI worked best at about 0.01 off the rifling.

Good on groundhogs when crosswinds are present out to at least 600 yards.

Last edited:
Not a Criticism

Sorry...i should have said trim length. Some of my brass is getting a bit long and I want to uniform them but do not have access to the reamer print. What is the standard trim length?

Just for informational purposes,,,,, C.O.L. = cartridge overall length, which would include the seated bullet. Maximum length of the cartridge case is what you wanted to know, which has already been answered. Cartridge and chamber drawings can be found at www.saami.org . The Ackleys won't be found there unless it has been one that has been "standardized" by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturing Institute.

Looking at the chamber print for my 6mm Remington Ackley based off the 6mm Remington case, the chamber length is 2.237" from the bolt head to the start of the 45 degree bevel at the end of the chamber neck. That would make your maximum case length at 2.227" and a trim length of 2.217" if your reamer is the same as mine.

Looking at the chamber print for my 6mm Remington Ackley based off the 6mm Remington case, the chamber length is 2.237" from the bolt head to the start of the 45 degree bevel at the end of the chamber neck. That would make your maximum case length at 2.227" and a trim length of 2.217" if your reamer is the same as mine.

I always make a plug from brass and use that to actually measure the chamber length.

Same method as measuring bullet to start of rifling but the plug is flat fronted and case outside diameter at the measuring end.

The stem of the plug is a gentle slip fit in a fired but unsized case from that chamber.

You can even then compare your measurement to the reamer print.

Trim to is 0.010 shorter.

AI cases with the sharper shoulders do not tend to stretch as much.

brickeyee I agree with you on needing a determining factor for each chamber. I was just passing on info from a major bullet manufacturer. How they got their specs, I don't have a clue. They do have a 1-800 number to call and ask about it if anyone was interested enough to do so.

Even if you do not have a metal lathe a drill press (or even just a drill) and a few files wil lturn out a servicable plug for chcking cahanber length.

Buy a short piece of brass rod at a hobby store that is just larger than you need.

Cut off a short piece and chuck it in a drill.
Gently stroke the file against the rotation of the drill.

Back