6brx brass problem

J

jawbreaker

After 5 or 6 loadings I am having a problem with loose primer pockets( lapua brass).
Typical load is 32.5 r-15 with cci-450, berger 105's touching( not a hot load). Is anyone having a similar problem? Could be a bad lot of brass? Is there a tool
to tighten the primer pocket?
thanx
tom

Playing with a variety of loads over the years, most of which hot, I never had loose primer pockets. My loads had ejector marks on the brass for 6-7 reloads in a row, still tight primer pockets. Tool to tighten the pockets never heard of , would be some tool for sure!

Loose primer pockets

Number one if your rifle has a tight bore 32.5 of re-15 and 105s could be too much.

The 6mmBRX is a Wildcat and there is not published load data and every barrel is unique.

I have had 6BRXs that shot 32.5 gr Varget great and other that blew primers with that load.

I suggest you begin with standard 6mmBR loads and work up. The 6mmBRX is not a hotrod cartridge it works best between 3000 and 3050 fps and one can expect 15-20 reloads before discarding the brass.

A lot depends on the loader(person) and how much he exercises his brass.
Nat

When I shot my 6BR brass too hot once doing initial load testing the pockets loosened noticeably and it seemed the brass was toast and a few primers even fell out in the action but after a couple more firings they tightened back up.
It doesn't make sense and I wouldn't believe it if it wasn't my own. The brass was never annealed and maybe work hardened itself?. I now have 12 loads on them and looks like they will go 20 easy.

check the overall length of your brass against the length of your chamber
if you run yours as close as i do ,the brass has to be trimmed ever other firing

Thanks to all. Looks like I need to lighten the load. Case webbs a growing .0015 after firing.
Thanx again
ta

I've used three tools designed for tightening primer pockets including the one showcased in last mo PS. They don't work for me.

If you can find someone to make one a "drive thru" die will work but it'll cost you a bunch for little return.

If your primers are loosening your pressures are too high

period.

al

I have found that if you fireform with the lightest load that will "just" get the job done and not load hot for the second firing the brass will work harden and primer pockets will stay tighter longer. It took some experimenting to find the lightest fireform load and still blow the shoulders out "almost" sharp but it did increase the life of my BRX brass.

Rodney

Back