6BR, 1:10’’ twist, 107 gr. Bullets at 100 yards ?

danyboy

Due to actual bullet shortage, buddy has 6 boxes of Sierra Matchking 107gr. he’s selling. I compete at 100 yards only, I got a 1:10’’ twist. I have had good groups with 75 gr. FBHP bullets but consistency isn’t the same as my 30 BR.
Would using a 107 gr. bullet be more appropriate or are these bullets more suitable for a faster twist like 1:8 ?

i do not think this is a good idea.
if the 107's are not the new factory design (new nose), i would pass.

there are 2 DIFFERENT 107 match kings.
early and current.
they closed the tip for better bc on the new ones.
heavy bullets for short range are seldom a good idea.
is there a rifle weight limit ?? muzzle brake allowed

They are Sierra Matchking. Why is it not a good idea ?

Due to actual bullet shortage, buddy has 6 boxes of Sierra Matchking 107gr. he’s selling. I compete at 100 yards only, I got a 1:10’’ twist. I have had good groups with 75 gr. FBHP bullets but consistency isn’t the same as my 30 BR.
Would using a 107 gr. bullet be more appropriate or are these bullets more suitable for a faster twist like 1:8 ?

The 107 MK - even the old style - may prove a little too long from the 1:10" twist. Try them and see: at best, stability will be marginal . . . and possibly poor. It is probable that the ideal twist would be about 1:8" - a 6mm BT, in excess of 1.20" OAL will want faster yet. That said, marginal may not be a wreck. RG

there are 2 DIFFERENT 107 match kings.
early and current.
they closed the tip for better bc on the new ones.
heavy bullets for short range are seldom a good idea.
is there a rifle weight limit ?? muzzle brake allowed

No Muzzle brakes allowed, weight of my rifle is 12.25 lbs. I always found Hollow Points to be more accurate than Full Metal Jackets.

The 107 MK - even the old style - may prove a little too long from the 1:10" twist. Try them and see: at best, stability will be marginal . . . and possibly poor. It is probable that the ideal twist would be about 1:8" - a 6mm BT, in excess of 1.20" OAL will want faster yet. That said, marginal may not be a wreck. RG

I appreciate that, I was just wondering why, in a hunting rifle .243 with a 1:9.25" twist, it did pretty good and since it's the same diameter, figured it might work in a 6BR.

well there is accuracy, and then there is BENCHREST ACCURACY.
no one suggested fmj, tho lapua makes a great 185 with a long history of long range performance.
me thinks a 107 in a 12 lb rifle will have noticable recoil. not good for ACCURACY.

LOOK FOR A LIGHTER BULLET THAT FITS THE 10 TWIST

No Muzzle brakes allowed, weight of my rifle is 12.25 lbs. I always found Hollow Points to be more accurate than Full Metal Jackets.

well there is accuracy, and then there is BENCHREST ACCURACY.
no one suggested fmj, tho lapua makes a great 185 with a long history of long range performance.
me thinks a 107 in a 12 lb rifle will have noticable recoil. not good for ACCURACY.

LOOK FOR A LIGHTER BULLET THAT FITS THE 10 TWIST

I always meant Benchrest accuracy.

I feel safe in saying that 99.9 % of Benchrest shooters shooting any 6mm bullet in the 105 to 108 weight range are using a 1-8 or faster twist.

What would work great in that 1-10 would be the Barts 80 grn BT. They will shoot with BENCHREST accuracy.

I have quite a few of them.

Last edited:
I feel safe in saying that 99.9 % of Benchrest shooters shooting any 6mm bullet in the 105 to 108 weight range are using a 1-8 or faster twist.

What would work great in that 1-10 would be the Barts 80 grn BT. They will shoot with BENCHREST accuracy.

I have quite a few of them.

I guess with all these comments about using 105-107 gr bullets in a 1:10 twist 6BR, I’ll finish my batch of Sierra #1510 75gr. FBHP and work on my accuracy consistency a little more. Thanks to everybody for their input.
Dan

well there is accuracy, and then there is benchrest accuracy.
No one suggested fmj, tho lapua makes a great 185 with a long history of long range performance.
Me thinks a 107 in a 12 lb rifle will have noticable recoil. Not good for accuracy.

Look for a lighter bullet that fits the 10 twist
some yrs ago bill brawanddesigned the 25 bms in light h v unl. Shot all over counyry ad and placed

well and won recoil was no prolblem.

Back