6 PPC bullet seating depth

Although there have been many discussions about rifle balance, for a 10.5# PPC I think that it all comes down to getting enough weight on the rear sandbag.

I have a package scale that has a 70# capacity, that is low enough so that I can use it like a space under my rear bag, and my front rest has enough range of adjustment to level a rifle. I have done some testing by first zeroing (using the tare function) the scale with the bag in place, and then moving the rifle and front rest so that both front and rear centers of support are in different positions, and combinations of positions. Given that I weighed the rifle first, and that the weight on the front bag will be the scale reading subtracted from that weight, I made a table that shows the effects of different rifle support positions on front to rear weight distribution. What my testing verified is that the major determiner of weight on the rear bag is how far forward you place the front bag. This position will be determined by testing to see where the best accuracy is obtained, and the length of the forend.

The newest stock designs are able to take advantage of this because of the materials that they are made with. The carbon fiber gives the needed stiffness, and the wood the needed damping. You may have noticed that they have longer forends.

For those of us with older designs, of different materials, using a shorter barrel with a slimmer contour, to allow more weight to be added to the butt may be the only way to get enough weight in the back for reliable free recoil shooting.

What I think that this all comes down to is that if you are shooting free recoil, you need to have a minimum weight on the rear sandbag for the rifle to be stable as it recoils. On the other hand if you hold and shoulder the rifle, none of this matters very much. I suppose that I should also mention that there are shooters in the Hall of Fame that do it both ways.

Rodney,

With your gun, I would want it to balance right at the face of your action or slightly behind. Also, don't use a sunshade, you really don't want that piece of metal on the front of your scope for accuracy work.

Hovis

Rodney,

With your gun, I would want it to balance right at the face of your action or slightly behind. Also, don't use a sunshade, you really don't want that piece of metal on the front of your scope for accuracy work.

Hovis

Thanks Hovis,
Will likely get more light into my scope without it anyway? Never really thought to take it off... came with the rifle!
Rodney

Sunshades are good if you are looking near the sun. Sun rise or set. But, they also trap hot air. And create mirage.
An old target cut the length of the barrel 3" wide. A little tab to wrap some tape around end of barrel. Loops of tape under to keep it on the barrel. Keeps the barrel heat away from the scope.
Or next time you order from Sinclair.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...t/sinclair-barrel-mirage-shade-prod32718.aspx[/QUOTE

Thanks Zippy 06
Surprising the things you don't know that you think you know!!
I never thought of the sun shade trapping heat, I used them because I thought they would deflect the heat. My range has a roof over the shooting areas so all my sun shades are going into the "can't throw them away but don't know if I will ever need them drawer" gonna have to get another drawer, this one is getting pretty full of things I thought I needed:D
Rodney

That's called "The Equipment Graveyard" Rodney.

Mine is huge, I could outfit a small third world country

al

Back