6 degree lead

Rflshootr

I was just looking at a 6BR reamer on Grizzly Industrial. According to the drawing they have, the reamer has a 3* per side throat angle. Can anyone tell me why? I was under the assumption that 1.5* per side was standard and proven on bench rest cartridges. :confused: The 6 Dasher and 6PPC reamers are 1.5*. What's up with that? Is there a specific reason that I'm not aware of?

Last edited:
I was just looking at a 6BR reamer on Grizzly Industrial. According to the drawing they have, the reamer has a 3* per side throat angle. Can anyone tell me why? I was under the assumption that 1.5* per side was standard and proven on bench rest cartridges. :confused: The 6 Dasher and 6PPC reamers are 1.5*. What's up with that? Is there a specific reason that I'm not aware of?

I believe that the 6 degree [included] angle is the original Remington/SAAMI spec.
This according to a JGS , "Popular American Sporting Calibers" reamer print booklet, dated 1993.RG

Throat angle

Some people will use a throat angle that closely matches the ogive of the bullet. This can at times be a steeper angle than 1.5 degrees. For instance a 7 ogive 6mm bullet would more closely match a 1.85 degree throat angle. Angles between 1.5 degrees and 2 degrees seem to be the most popular. The throat angle seems to decrease with throat wear. Some people may start closer to 2 degrees to help compensate for throat wear.

Michael

I actually prefer this steeper leade angle. It shoots with the same accuracy as a 1.5 degree but is steep enough that bullets will not get stuck when hard jamming thereby preventing powder dumps in the chamber during non-firing extactions, also in-land seating depths are much more precise since jam depth generally only occurs at a single depth measurement before the bullet starts moving back in the case, leade erosion is alot less since there is more material with the steeper angle.............Don in Redondo

Some people will use a throat angle that closely matches the ogive of the bullet. This can at times be a steeper angle than 1.5 degrees. For instance a 7 ogive 6mm bullet would more closely match a 1.85 degree throat angle. Angles between 1.5 degrees and 2 degrees seem to be the most popular. The throat angle seems to decrease with throat wear. Some people may start closer to 2 degrees to help compensate for throat wear.

Michael

Michael Turner???? THE Michael Turner???

Where ya been Man? (rhetorical question...) Good To Hear From You :)

al

Back