6 BR reamer question

R

rem40xb1

I have a 6BR reamer that is set up for 105 bergers. Will it work for a 14 twist barrel with 70 grain bullets--Prairie dog gun

Maybe

It depends on the throat, (freebore), length.
A .060 works great in the 6BR for a good all around compromise. My 6BR reamer has a .060, and it allowed me to shoot 105 Bergers. The junction of the Boat Tail and the shank of the bullt was just above the neck shoulder junction with the bullet touching the lands. A 70 grn should be about 1/2 way down into the neck, depending on the ogive of the bullet you choose.
If the 70 has a 7.5 ogive, it might come out in the same spot in the neck as a 105 with a 10+ ogive.........jackie

Last edited:
That freebore is too long for the 70 grain bullets. For a barrel dedicated to bullets in the 70gr range, around an.045" freebore would be good, although shorter wouldn't hurt.

Thanks guys for the information. Looks like I am going to be buying a reamer. Ross

I cannot stabilize .935" 75 gr Vmax bullets with 1 in 14" twist.
I can stabilize .835" 65 gr Vmax bullets with 1 in 14" twist.

The thing to look out for is bullets that stabilize at short range, but not long range.

The 75 gr work of 50 yards at 3000 ~3100 fps, but not at 100 yards.

Clark,

If this is a 6BR ADD MORE POWDER. You are lobbing those bullets. Stability will increase SLIGHTLY with velocity. A good BR will drive 75gr bullets well over 3400fps. I have shot 80gr Bergers over 3300fps with no pressure problems.

Good shooting,

Brian Moore

My reamer has 0 freebore. A 70TNT kissing the lands is exactly 2/3 down the neck. A 70BalTip seats very slightly above the neck/shoulder junction. My friend's 70gr match boattails seat right at the base of the neck. A 65VMax seats .040" above the neck/shoulder. I mostly shoot the 55BalTip and 58VMax going fast. The 58VMax seats .085" above the neck/shoulder junction. With a split neck case you can easily see how far down the bullet goes.

Clark,

If this is a 6BR ADD MORE POWDER. You are lobbing those bullets. Stability will increase SLIGHTLY with velocity. A good BR will drive 75gr bullets well over 3400fps. I have shot 80gr Bergers over 3300fps with no pressure problems.

Good shooting,

Brian Moore

That 6mmBR is an old 1917 Sav99 take down with a recycled re chambered 6mmPPC benchrest take off barrel. The firing pin hole is too large to get the full potential of pressure with CCI450 primers.

I know I should build another rifle.

Attachments

• Sav99takedown6mmBRcroppedreduced.jpg
    Sav99takedown6mmBRcroppedreduced.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 226
That 6mmBR is an old 1917 Sav99 take down with a recycled re chambered 6mmPPC benchrest take off barrel. The firing pin hole is too large to get the full potential of pressure with CCI450 primers.

I know I should build another rifle.

That's friggin' AWEsome!! You need to hang the forend back on though, it won't make it that bad, bed it. It should shoot 1moa, what does it do now with the forend off?

al

Back