6 Beggs loads< anything new?

Pete Wass

Ive just got a 6 Beggs together and about to try to find a tune. I searched through past discussion on loads but they are old. I'm wondering if a "Go To' powder and load has become in common use. I would appreciate whatever help I can get here. PM me if you don't want to publish it one here.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, with 65-68 wt bullet, 23.0 of H4198 is a good place place to start. You'll likely end up in the mid-high 24's. -Al

Yesterday

Pete, with 65-68 wt bullet, 23.0 of H4198 is a good place place to start. You'll likely end up in the mid-high 24's. -Al

I ran a string of 24g LT-32. Found a one bullet high group with 24.6 but the rest were scattered. I'll try a string of 25's next time to see what's there. I have H 4197 and will try some of that if the LT 32 doesn't respond. I have more LT-32. Shooting 67gn BIB.

Pete

I agree but in reality, n120 and 1680 are about 2 grains faster than h4198, in a case this size. LT30 is a tad slower than h4198 and is less bulky. It also builds pressures predictably without getting spikey at the drop of a hat. The others may well work but I'd work with the lt30 first. Maybe even 133 and lt32. Not much difference between it and a ppc. Just a little smaller and more gradual shoulder angle. Just my 2 cents. I've had a few 220 Beggs bbls and they've all shot well with lt 32. The added bore area makes me think it'll like a tad faster powder but just try them and see. I bet they'll all shoot well but one will stand out. I'd bet on lt30 being the one. The beauty is just how easy they are to load for. I'd do a no or minimal turn neck, too. IME, the Beggs die, even with the later reamer version, doesn't size quite enough. I spec'd my 220 reamer .001 bigger at the back end and all bolt click problems ceased. The only down side to the Beggs cases is they still stretch a little more than I like due to the taper, but not bad. Just stay on top of trim lengths and they are a great case to work with.

Last edited:
Mike, it would be a cryin' shame to waste good H4198 in a 'Commie Case' like a 220R based deal! ;) :D -Al

Mike, it would be a cryin' shame to waste good H4198 in a 'Commie Case' like a 220R based deal! ;) :D -Al

Lol! You have a point there!
You could Ackleyize the 30 BR and call it a 30 BRAL! Seems fitting and has a nice ring to it. ;)

Last edited:
Back