6.5x47Lapua

S

swa

Im wanting to get a Tikka T3 Lite in left hand, but was wanting to get it rechambered in 6.5X47L. I know that a 308 bolt face is the same as a 6.5X47L so basically would just have to change out the barrel. What im needing to know is this my only choice or do i NEED TO GO A DIFFERENT ROUTE. Darn caps lock!!! This rifle would be used for hunting deer and possible MT Goat. The reason for the 6.5X47L is increased barrel life, lite recoil and I like the ballistics of the 6.5 projectile. Also was looking at tikka's web site and they do chamber in 6.5X55 Sweedish. But dont know much about that, any thoughts?? Please help. Thanks for your help

SWA

Last edited by a moderator:
6.5x55

The least expensive way is just to buy the Tikka chambered in 6,5x55. The 6,5x55 Swedish will do anything that 6,5x47 can do for hunting application. It actually will have a bit higher velocity than the 6,5x47. A 6,5x55 AI has just about the same volume as 6,5-284 so there actually isnt much difference between velocity of 6,5x55 and 6,5-284.

Of course you could change the barrel of a 6,5x55 and have a new one chambered in 6,5x47 but it will cost about $500 and you will not be any better off.

25 shooter, how do you figure he wouldn't be better off? Did you read the reasons that he was considering it? Less recoil and better barrel life, you recommended the opposite. I hunt with a 6.5X47Lapua and it is a great white tail cartridge with low recoil. It is much more efficient than the 6.5X55. It is more accurate than a 6.5X55.
Butch

SWA
I had a TC Icon chambered to 6.5 X 47 lapua ...used a #4 contour barrel with 1:8 twist. I had mine chambered with a .292 neck and I think about .254 freebore which takes a pretty long bullet. That puts the base of a 120 SMK at the neck / shoulder junction. The best hunting (accuracy) bullet I found was the Berger 130VLD's which touched the lands at 2.882" COAL ---but still shot well at 2.8" which would fit in the detach mag box. If I were doing it again, I would go with less free bore. The advantage of the long freebore is to permit a bit more powder, but if I were doing it again, I would shorten the freebore about .100 so I could shoot some shorter bullets. Mine is pretty much a 1/2 MOA shooter.
The barrel was the only thing needed to make the change. It feeds well out of the TC single stack mag.

SWA

As far as I'm concerned the 6.5x47 lapua is an awesome cartdridge that will shoot with the 6br (and that's saying alot). You will love the tikka, here is my lefty in 243 win to get you salivating.

243winny2.jpg

243winny.jpg

Thanks for the info guys!! And eddief you have a very nice Tikka. From what iv read they are very nice hunting rifles. Also did you do the finish job yourself? Well keep the info coming please..

Thanks again!!!
SWA

The 6.5mm bullet is a wonderful thing. Long and deep penetrating, even with match bullets and its sectional area, it works very well.

I do not have a 6.5x47 Lapua, but I do shoot a 30x47 HBR rifle. I have a 6.5x284 and it does have a healthy recoil in a 8 lb platform. It takes a little bit of discipline to keep it under 3/4" considering the recoil and heavy trigger.

I've just gotten a custom AR10 with a 28" Krieger in 6.5x47L up & running, and am impressed with it so far. I like what I've seen out of this cartridge enough to realize that down the road, I'm going to have to chamber a Palma bbl. for it for a bolt rifle. I have 6.5x55 & 6.5x55 AI barrels already on rifles, but think this smaller cartridge would be dandy for midrange prone shooting, out to 600yds.

The AR10 is impressive with the Berger 130VLDs, even though I haven't been able to get them to feed out of a magazine, and have to single load them. I'm looking forward to finding out how well the 6.5x47 will perform out of a bolt rifle.

Back