6.5 Creedmoor good bullet

Bill Wynne

I just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor in a Browning with an 8 twist. What bullet weight should I start with for 400 to 500 yards? Not real benchrest rig but just a good fun rifle to shoot for steel targets at those ranges. There is such a wide range of bullet weights and I just want a starting place.

Concho Bill

Lotta people love the 130gr Bergers.. but Hornady also has some cool new stuff with their ELD/ELD-M/ELD-X line(the 147gr sounds pretty killer IMO for a heavy load) that lots a people been trying out lately also that are probably worth a look see. I think Id go with the 130s first, seems hard to go wrong with em there.

Lotta people love the 130gr Bergers.. but Hornady also has some cool new stuff with their ELD/ELD-M/ELD-X line(the 147gr sounds pretty killer IMO for a heavy load) that lots a people been trying out lately also that are probably worth a look see. I think Id go with the 130s first, seems hard to go wrong with em there.

Thanks, JB, I am going to try 130s and even 120s. There must be a bullet weight that will shoot best in this rifle. I have heard reports that most bullets shoot well in this caliber but I just know that one weight will shoot better than the others. I will be checking them all in time.

Bill

Thanks, JB, I am going to try 130s and even 120s. There must be a bullet weight that will shoot best in this rifle. I have heard reports that most bullets shoot well in this caliber but I just know that one weight will shoot better than the others. I will be checking them all in time.

Bill

No doubt most bullets will have ability to work well and with the new Lapua cases you should be able to get that thing hammering. With the capacity of Creedmoor combined with the 130's shorter bearing surface they will outrun the 140s way out there and I know many people have switched to em for that reason with pleasing results.

Berger web site

Bill, I looked up the following:
120 gr 1 in 9" twist or faster
130 gr 1 in 8" twist or faster
140 gr 1 in 8" twist or faster
Hope this helps.
Centerfire

Nosler RDF

I'm running the RDF in my 260 Rem and they work great !! 140 grain ,there not expensive either

I just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor in a Browning with an 8 twist. What bullet weight should I start with for 400 to 500 yards? Not real benchrest rig but just a good fun rifle to shoot for steel targets at those ranges. There is such a wide range of bullet weights and I just want a starting place.

Concho Bill

My Savage likes the Hornady 140gr. ELD Match. Less then .25 Moa at 500yds. Can't help you past that ...yet.

Jason

Back