40X Barreled Action Value

ede

Hello all, I'm new here and not a bench rest shooter. My dad was a rimfire benchrest shooter later in life, NRA small bore prone shooter, Navy Rifle team member and NRA National record holder. Shortly before he died he told me "I'm sure proud of you" and I said "you are?" and he replied " yes now if you'd just give up them pistols and learn to shoot a rifle". I'm a pistol shooter, Ruger Rimfire, USPSA, and Steel Challenge I shoot Ruger Mk IIIs, 10/.22s, STI 1911s, Glocks, and S&W revolvers.

Anyway long way around to my question; I have a US surplus 40x barreled action with 2oz trigger, stainless barrel, over size bolt handle and barrel tuner along with a semi finished stock that's been bedded that belonged to him I'd like to sell. Could you give me an idea of a fair price to ask or a reasonable reserve price to set in an auction? Thanks in advance for the help.

The last 2 receivers I'd seen on gunbroker went for around $600. They were both commercial actions I think. Both had a bolt but no trigger. I saw KSS had triggers for $175. The barrel depending on what it is should bring another $2-300?? Stock without knowing what you've got I can't answer but if decent another $1-200?? I would think $900-1000 would be close.
It may be better to get the rifle completed & sell it that way.
Keith

Wow that's way to low. Go look at the classified section. You will find your answer there.

Sam you're probably right but I was under the impression the gun isn't "ready" to go. I shouldn't have assumed. There is a little more info needed. Like barrel manufacturer, smith, & is it complete.
The other thing he could do is start it a penny with a ridiculous reserve & see how the bidding goes.
Keith

picture

Really need a picture. You could be describing any one of a handful of types ranging over quite a scale difference.

JB

Barrel is stamped Davis. Actually I had considered posting on GB with .01 opening bid with 2000$ reserve to see what happened then decide what I wanted to do. The stock isn't much and figure it's just a extra thrown in.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 317
Barrel is stamped Davis. Actually I had considered posting on GB with .01 opening bid with 2000$ reserve to see what happened then decide what I wanted to do. The stock isn't much and figure it's just a extra thrown in.

Ede, now we're getting somewhere! What I believe you have is a Gene Davis 40x.He's built some good ones & is well known & respected in the sport. The value should a fair bit more than I had previously stated.
He had a couple barreled actions for sale last year on gb & got between $1700-$1900 I think. One of which I have.
You may want to see if he might help you on the value of it. Google him or someone may have is contact info. Plenty of us have one of his guns.
Why not take up the sport. You're most of the way there now.
Good luck with it anyhow.
Keith

Why not take up the sport. You're most of the way there now.
Good luck with it anyhow.
Keith

I don't have much interest in rifle competition and for sure can't afford to gear up for another game. I do have a .22lr Ballard dad used to win Camp Perry with in the early 50s I'll hang on to and maybe shoot but not compete. Thanks for all the help.

Edit: I found out Gene Davis is from Columbus Ohio. We're from Ohio but I'm in Alabama now. Dad had always said if you compete have the very best equipment there is so no more than I know I'll guess this may be one of his rifles.

Last edited:
Back