40 x actions

Back when most of'em were done they went from production line to the custom shop when it was a bonafide custom shop. Now....could'nt tell you.

And by the by, have you been within 1000 miles of the factory? Know anybody that ever set foot in it?

Tim,
As a matter of fact I bought 2 of Mike Walker's rifles, a Mod37 rimfire and his 722 in 257 Roberts hunting rifle. If you have ever read the old Precision Shooting magazine, you will find them listed there. It was an article on his favorite rifles. I also have the prototype and 1 of 3 produced 24X internal adjustable scopes. Yes, they came from Mike. I also have 2 of his loading presses made from, probably scrap, Remington receivers.
Do you know Jimmy Stekl? I visit by phone with Jimmy from time to time. Oh, by the way, Jimmy sold me 3 of the externally adjustable Remington Custom Shop scopes.
Does that answer your question? Send me an email address by PM and I'll send photos.

Tim,
As a matter of fact I bought 2 of Mike Walker's rifles, a Mod37 rimfire and his 722 in 257 Roberts hunting rifle. If you have ever read the old Precision Shooting magazine, you will find them listed there. It was an article on his favorite rifles. I also have the prototype and 1 of 3 produced 24X internal adjustable scopes. Yes, they came from Mike. I also have 2 of his loading presses made from, probably scrap, Remington receivers.
Do you know Jimmy Stekl? I visit by phone with Jimmy from time to time. Oh, by the way, Jimmy sold me 3 of the externally adjustable Remington Custom Shop scopes.
Does that answer your question? Send me an email address by PM and I'll send photos.

Ya know Butch, I know your getting older but good lord.
You got a couple of those scopes( which if you remember we PM 'ed about) because I passed on them. Jimmy is a dear friend. We have shot both CF & RF togeather for 30 years, he's built me BR rifles, and he is only one guy I spend a lot of time with who spent their entire lives at Remington.
So call Jimmy and ask him if he knows Tim and whether Tim knows a few things or a BS artist......feel free.

Last edited:
Another old wives tail about Remington being a much better product back in the "old days".

Several years back, I bought a Factory Original 721 out of a Pawn Shop. The barrel code indicated it was vintage 1948/49.

It became a project. I used the action as the centerpiece for a really nice custom 30-06.

When I set the action up for truing the threads, action face, and lug abutments, it surprised me how far out they were with the bolt way. The firing pin hole was concideably off center as well.

Here is the Rifle. Fluted Krieger 1-9 twist in Remington Varmint Taper, HS Precision Stock, Jewel Trigger, Pacific Tool Bottom Metal, action and bases parkerized, bolt bushed, action trued. It's a great shooting '06.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20634&stc=1&d=1517343274

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20635&stc=1&d=1517344655

Attachments

• IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 598
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 583
Last edited:
Ya know Butch, I know your getting older but good lord.
You got a couple of those scopes( which if you remember we PM 'ed about) because I passed on them. Jimmy is a dear friend. We have shot both CF & RF togeather for 30 years, he's built me BR rifles, and he is only one guy I spend a lot of time with who spent their entire lives at Remington.
So call Jimmy and ask him if he knows Tim and whether Tim knows a few things or a BS artist......feel free.

I don't doubt your relationship, but I do know a couple from the old Custom Shop. Actually Jimmy sold me 2 and threw the 3rd in as the cross hair cell was missing. Took about 30 minutes on the lathe to make one. So I got 3 for the price of one. Jimmy was very fair with me on price. Is he back in Florida for the winter?

Another old wives tail about Remington being a much better product back in the "old days".

Several years back, I bought a Factory Original 721 out of a Pawn Shop. The barrel code indicated it was vintage 1948/49.

It became a project. I used the action as the centerpiece for a really nice custom 30-06.

When I set the action up for truing the threads, action face, and lug abutments, it surprised me how far out they were with the bolt way. The firing pin hole was concideably off center as well.

Here is the Rifle. Fluted Krieger 1-9 twist in Remington Varmint Taper, HS Precision Stock, Jewel Trigger, Pacific Tool Bottom Metal, action and bases parkerized, bolt bushed, action trued. It's a great shooting '06.

Damn good Jackie!

I don't doubt your relationship, but I do know a couple from the old Custom Shop. Actually Jimmy sold me 2 and threw the 3rd in as the cross hair cell was missing. Took about 30 minutes on the lathe to make one. So I got 3 for the price of one. Jimmy was very fair with me on price. Is he back in Florida for the winter?

He does not go down any more. Sold his place and now suffers eternal winter up in Mohawk N.Y.
Got both his eyes done and picked up a couple low miles BR guns to start shooting with us again......we shall see.

jackie

which jewel did you use? The one with the top or bottom safety lever? Did it just pin on without any mods? Tks --Greg

Last edited:
The things that make an action "Precision", mainly insuring that all criticle fits are true and square, are no better, or worse, than a cheap ADL.

I have true quite a few, and the only diffence I eve saw was the lack of a magazine cut away.

This is an old argument. It's amazing there are still those who do not know this.

That being said, a complete and Factory original 40x does command a premium price, much like unmolested vintage muscle cars. There seems to be a sort of cult status surrounding them.

If you have one, don't put it in a custom stock, change the trigger, or the barrel, or anything else that would take away from it's originality. It has much more value "bone stock".

Jackie, I realize you are correct.......but about 25 years ago a customer tempted me with a trade to get a 222Rem 40X. It was a horrible trade for me but I wanted that 40X so bad.

After I got my 40X I realized that the barrel was rusted out from sitting in a cellar for a decade or so, the stock was not much better. the trigger broke after very few rounds. I could not accept defeat so I took it to an incompetent gunsmith had a custom stock, new trigger and a new barrel put on in the original 222REM.

It is still for some unknown reason one of my favorite rifles.

I did not properly learn my lesson with this rifle and built a fully custom on an XR-100 action.......even a worse idea..............lesson learned !!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie, I realize you are correct.......but about 25 years ago a customer tempted me with a trade to get a 222Rem 40X. It was a horrible trade for me but I wanted that 40X so bad.

After I got my 40X I realized that the barrel was rusted out from sitting in a cellar for a decade or so, the stock was not much better. the trigger broke after very few rounds. I could not accept defeat so I took it to an incompetent gunsmith had a custom stock, new trigger and a new barrel put on in the original 222REM.

It is still for some unknown reason one of my favorite rifles.

I did not properly learn my lesson with this rifle and built a fully custom on an XR-100 action.......even a worse idea..............lesson learned !!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle B, I understand. This is my 40X rimfire with a collectable Remington Custom Shop scope.
2qmp2s9.jpg

2468cg2.jpg

I didn't learn my lesson. I have another coming close to completion.

Kevin, I will try again. I've posted twice and it ain't come up yet.
Your rifle is very nice and I sure wouldn't throw rocks at it.

I know we're talking actions here, but didn't they have Hart barrels? An older guy I know has a 40x .222 and .308. They both are above average shooters by far. The .222 is an 1983, not sure about the .308. His 40x .308 shot the only clean i've seen at 300 yards, for 40 shots.

I'm not sticking up for rem though, I only own Savage's and a bunch of custom barrels, a Weatherbee for hunting and a Stolle Panda LV 6ppc rig.

I know we're talking actions here, but didn't they have Hart barrels? An older guy I know has a 40x .222 and .308. They both are above average shooters by far. The .222 is an 1983, not sure about the .308. His 40x .308 shot the only clean i've seen at 300 yards, for 40 shots.

I'm not sticking up for rem though, I only own Savage's and a bunch of custom barrels, a Weatherbee for hunting and a Stolle Panda LV 6ppc rig.

I believe that in the olden days the custom shop used a few Harts.

Hey Butch.........

Back to the 40X actions......

Wasn't there an old article, in Precision Shooting, comparing the 40X(b) and 40XBR/ 40XB-BR actions?

I recall something about heat treating, and acid etching vs. stamping the action side.

You remember?

Thanks,
Kevin

40 X actions

I guess you have yo look t the time frames as to the 40X actions
Back in 1971 i bought a 40x Br . It had a test target with a .160 group on it fired by thee rifle.
It was a 6/47 (6mm 222mag) The target had the complete load on it Bullet powder charge oal primer.
I shot that rifle for a year before it needed a bedding job due to being shot on a raining day.
IT always shot very very well and I won a few small group matches with it.
That rifle was as good as any other rifle on the line . It was built at the custom shop in Illion.
100,s are nothing to sneeze at. It was a fine rifle I also have a 40XB repeater from the custom shop IT is a 308 with the Marksmen stock and clip slot.
I have had several over the years This one shoots some pretty small groups with good hand loads {less then 1/2 inch
Nothing has been done to these rifles and they shot that well. THey are and were fine accurate rifles built in the custom shop.
MR Selan was the builder on mine.

It's not about the specific rifles or actions but rather the odds of getting your hands on a good one. For every winning rifle there are a large number of rifles that won't/can't win. If you believe you can fix those that won't win then please have at it....it's been done. If I had a dollar for every Remington that placed ahead of my Panda I'd buy myself something nice....but I'd rather have a dollar for every Remington that placed behind me so I could buy myself something REALLY nice.

May be a dumb question, but do the gunsmiths ever check custom actions for trueness, etc. before building on that action?
Melvin Calliham

Melvin,

I remember reading an article in PS a hundred years ago in which a well known and respected gunsmith...I don't remember who it was...commented that you should not assume that because the action is custom that it is straight and true. He had seen otherwise...

This was back in the days when there were 3-4 custom action makers.

Justin

Back