322 in the 6PPC

jackie schmidt

We have the Nationals in Phoenix coming up. Super low humidity.

I shoot 133 in my 6PPC's. I have since the late 1990's. I have always struggled with it in Phoenix. In order to get it to Agg, I have to shoot it so darned hot that I run out of cases by mid week.

When I first started shooting Benchrest, we shot 322. It's been so long ago I can't even remember how we loaded it.

Maybe it's an alternative for Phoenix. Is anybody having any success with it now?

We have the Nationals in Phoenix coming up. Super low humidity.

I shoot 133 in my 6PPC's. I have since the late 1990's. I have always struggled with it in Phoenix. In order to get it to Agg, I have to shoot it so darned hot that I run out of cases by mid week.

When I first started shooting Benchrest, we shot 322. It's been so long ago I can't even remember how we loaded it.

Maybe it's an alternative for Phoenix. Is anybody having any success with it now?

26.8 - H 322 is what I shoot , just starting up the neck a little.

Jackie...you've got two options. Shoot the 133 that you are familiar with and just make more cases or give 322 a try. I shot 322 for all those years, and will say that it's capable of winning but you have to know when to reduce the load a little bit...typically after you shoot a screamer and that's somewhat hard to do. The nationals are always too closely contested to tolerate a single flyer.

If you shoot H322 find a load that works at Phoenix,then back off a little .Like Wilbur said H322 is fussy at the top.

I just acquired 24 lbs of some early production 2015 BR, (Australian), that I tested in my Rail Gun yesterday.

After finding what neck tension it liked, (really light), it shot pretty darned good. This stuff might work in Phoenix.

Last edited:
Know quite a few guys that have had luck with LT 31 in Phoenix. Shot some 131.5 at the Cactus this year, it was pretty good also, the question is going to be how hot it gets, if it's over 95 I'll probably shoot some old t powder.

Lt 31

Hi Jackie......The winner of the Light Varmint Grand at the 2017 Cactus was using 27.4 gr. of LT 31 and Berger Columns. Ask me how I know.
If you don't feel like mixing up a batch of LT 31, about a grain more of Lt 32 works real good also.
Gene

I just acquired 24 lbs of some early production 2015 BR, (Australian), that I tested in my Rail Gun yesterday.

After finding what neck tension it liked, (really light), it shot pretty darned good. This stuff might work in Phoenix.

Jackie,

A lot of guys in Aus are using Benchmark 2 which is 2015 BR under different branding (from what I understand), with a lot of success. It is an excellent powder and has a wider tune window then 133. You are 100% about neck tension, very light is the go.

Jackie,

A lot of guys in Aus are using Benchmark 2 which is 2015 BR under different branding (from what I understand), with a lot of success. It is an excellent powder and has a wider tune window then 133. You are 100% about neck tension, very light is the go.

2015BR was what Jef Fowler always shot, in the East, but also for years in Midland Texas.

I believe that the current 2015 is made in Canada, in the same plant that makes the LT powders, and has been used as a way to market lots of LT 32 that do not meet its narrow burn rate specification (because they were slightly too slow). This version was introduced a couple of years before LT32. I am not sure about the 8 pounders, but the one pounder of 2015 that I have is labeled as made in Canada.

I believe that the current 2015 is made in Canada, in the same plant that makes the LT powders, and has been used as a way to market lots of LT 32 that do not meet its narrow burn rate specification (because they were slightly too slow). This version was introduced a couple of years before LT32. I am not sure about the 8 pounders, but the one pounder of 2015 that I have is labeled as made in Canada.

Boyd, the 2015 BR I have is about 1.5 grns faster than the lot of 133 that I have. The load window is around 3350 to 3400 is between 28.4 and 29 grns.

I am shooting 28.8 in my Rail, it seems easy on brass.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22913&stc=1&d=1568821289

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
I sold a couple 8 pounders to Dick Wright. Don't know if he shot it up or not.
I used the Aussie H322 lot 90 when I was learning. 27.5grains and a 68 grain Berger. It shot great and I changed nothing regardless of where the match was shot or temp and humidity. I gained a lot of knowledge, different powders, bullets, and changed everything back and forth my second year. My shooting dropped off a great deal my second year. Being stupid and just watching flags and just shooting was best for me.

Back