30BR out to 500yds ?

Would a 30BR be accurate out to 500 yds?

At known distance(s), the only facet which you'll find lacking - presuming the typical light bullets - is wind-drift . . . precision will not deteriorate. Accurate shot placement, relative to center, may prove more difficult. :eek::DRG

Last edited:
On an overcast day with virtually no wind you may be able to get a 1/2 MOA or smaller group.

Depends on your definition of "Accuracy".

On an overcast day with virtually no wind you may be able to get a 1/2 MOA or smaller group.

Depends on your definition of "Accuracy".

On this day, I'd expect 1/4, or, smaller MOA precision (group capability).;)RG

OK..... a different look at "calm days" :)

I have 650yds out the window of my reloading room. AND, I live in WA, the absolute calmest place on the planet. Weather here takes days to change. When we get a thunderstorm here it gets talked about on the local news stations......but "calm" is a tricky thing. I've been able to shoot whenever I want, rain or shine, day or nite 24/7 and 365 for most of the 45yrs I've been interested in accuracy, had poured-in-place concrete benches on my properties since 1988, spent time on 3 different home ranges and I STILL HAVE NO IDEA whether or not it's calm out there until I shoot it.

With a GOOD gun.

Some days the flag tails hang limp as granddaddy's....braid, and the bullets flang all over the place randomly. Some days it looks switchy on the flags/ribbons/socks but the main air mass is solid, groups are good if careful.

And at 500yds I really don't believe anyone "reads" the conditions like is routinely done in 100-200 so establishing what your rifle's truly capable of can be hard. But I'm solidly with Randy, it better be capable of 1/4moa! :)

In my experience out shooting rats on Thee Lone Prairee my personal breakover point is about 350yds, below 350 the "30BR" will always win, at 350 it's a tossup and beyond 350yds it's really dependent on the day but for myself I've never been happy shooting the "30BR" beyond 400 unless I have the sun off my rear flank and a good spotter ....... then it's fun to watch vapor trails, turbulence, glints or even sometimes the actual bullets as they dance thru the pool.

And it's easy to see when it's time to give up the inherent accuracy for the increased BC

Thanks for all your replies gents. Im getting a HV 30BR 13.5lb built for score matches which will be in the 100,200 and 300yd range. But im tossing up whether to just use the 30BR for the 500yd fly matches we have in Australia or get a 6BR-6BRA barrel made at the same time for it as well at an extra $1000.

You would be much better off using a 6br or 6bra for regular 500 yard matches.

I know i would be better off with 6BR-A but if i can get away with the 30 for awhile. Its a lot of money to have tied up in a barrel (6BR) that won't get used very much at all. 100-300 matches will be much more frequent.

You know the old saying “I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.”
Sounds like you know you will need it. No fun shooting the wrong gun. At least for me. I’m bad enough already. :confused:

You know the old saying “I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.”
Sounds like you know you will need it. No fun shooting the wrong gun. At least for me. I’m bad enough already. :confused:

your right, to be competitive or even in the same planet and the other shooters ill need the other barrel for 500yds especially as Mr Robinette and alinwa said, if its windy,

You will need some good bullets!

I have been shooting a bolt action handgun chambered in 30BR (from the bench) out to 500 yds using Randy's 30BR BIB bullets. I can assure you that it is possible and that is with a handgun (with a rifle scope).

Mark

Back