30 brx chamber ?

B

bj44bj

Can i cut a 30 br chamber with my robinett reamer then use a 6mm br lapua reamer for another .100 to make a 30 brx ? Or do i need to get a dedicated 30 brx reamer ?

Can i cut a 30 br chamber with my robinett reamer then use a 6mm br lapua reamer for another .100 to make a 30 brx ? Or do i need to get a dedicated 30 brx reamer ?

What do you plan on doing for dies? Just running either reamer in deep will leave the rear of the chamber big by about .001".
Otherwise, it'll work, IMO.---Mike Ezell

After moving the shoulder forward with the 6brx reamer, you will lose the small radius at the base of the neck. It will be
pretty much a corner. You will have to polish a small radius there, otherwise it will be somewhat sharp.

For my 30BRX, Stan Ware used a 'real' 30BRX reamer. The first 30BRX Stan did with this reamer was for Steve Grosvenor. For a seating die, Stan used a standard Wilson 30BR die and ran the BRX reamer in. For a f.l. die, both Steve and I were using standard Redding Type 'S' f.l. bushing dies and a 'ring' die to size the base when needed. This f.l. die situation is much simplified now with Redding offering a 6BRX f.l. bushing die...simply open the neck area on this die up and you're good to go.

I imagine running a 30BR reamer in and then finishing with a 6BR reamer run in .100 long could work, in theory. But the thought of doing it this way, given all the maybes...... gives me the heebie jeebies. Especially when reamers just aren't that expensive in the overall scheme of things.

Here's a side by side pic for pondering. -Al

brx.jpg

al....
what do you use the 30brx for ???
thanks
mike in co

What is the advantage is the BRX over the BR for less than 300 yd shooting?

H4198 at times acts like it's borderline too slow for the BR case. My thought was to make the case a bit larger to hold more H4198, effectively making the power act a bit 'faster'. The extra 125-150 fps. is nice, but not the main reason for the extra capacity.

al....what do you use the 30brx for ??? thanks mike in co

It's my Heavy VfS gun (13.5 lb'er). My 10.5 lb. gun is a plain vanilla 30BR.

Good shootin'. -Al

Back