30 br

I bought a box and pick them up and move them once in a while to get at my Bergers.

But seriously, I was going to try them in my hunter gun but might move that project up in the queue if you get some encouraging responses.

Last year I was waiting on bullet dies and all the custom makers were weeks out. In a pinch, I tried 125 gr Sierra Match Kings, 125 gr Sierra Pro Hunters, and 125 gr Speer TNTs in my .30 Stingray (just a .30 Major with a 40 degree shoulder and the datum pushed ahead another 0.035"). Here's how they did:

1) 125 gr Match Kings (not TMKs) - shot terrible. They're a long secant ogive and probably need more than 17 - 18 twist. Even jumped, they were erratic
2) 125 gr Pro Hunters - probably a 7 or 8 ogive. Shot better, but still no where near custom bullets. If you try these, be sure to sort on bearing length. The box I had showed 0.005" total spread.
3) 125 gr Speer TNTs - same as the Pro Hunters, but even more bearing surface spread.

Speer bearing surface variation:

Speer_TNTs_1.jpg

Speer_TNTs_2.jpg

So I learned what I knew all along. Shoot bullets from the custom makers. Off-the-shelf stuff doesn't stack up with one exception....the 115 grain Berger is an outstanding bullet.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Yes...

Has anyone had any experience with the 125 gr Sierra flat base bullet?

I use them (125gr tipped Match Kings) in my Hunter rifle. It has a 1-15 twist barrel. They perform as well as the 135 Burger (no longer made) and the 134gr BIB bullets I've used. They are reasonably priced, and fast delivery from Sierra. I'm very satisfied with them.

Last edited:
Back