30 BR 7 or 10 tangent ojive

Hi John. Sounds like things are going the right direction for 'ya. :)

One thing in your post got my attention: a Wilson seating die gives .040 of stem movement per each full rotation. A 1 1/4 'total' turn as you did will have changed the seating depth by .050. If the seater was set up to 'jam' the bullet .030 (for example) past the 'just touching' point that means you ended up jumping .020 when you got your best accuracy.

It's the rare .30 barrel that likes that much jump although I've certainly seen 'em. But that's the really great thing about accurate rifle...they tell us what they like. :) -Al

Yes that is what my smith told me after I told him of my progress . I don't remember ever having a bullet of that design shoot that was not jamed hard in the lands. He told me that the wilson was .030 per turn . All I know is that it sure worked and the bullet is just touching the riffleing.
I was going on what Randy R. told me to do with his BIB bullets , but like you said all barrels will tell you what they want. My smith is Sid Goodling Thanks for all the help. I ddn't think I would ever get back into the bench rest game since I had given it up back in the mid to late 70's . Now at 62 years young the bug has bitten again .:)

I dont like shooting off the lands myself. But last yearI had a RockCreek bbl that wouldnt shoot in the rifling so I tried off the rifling . Guess what? it's the best barrel I ever had. never changed the seating depth or powder charge in 1100 rds.
and this is with Randys 10 0jive bullets.
Ken

Al , you got me to thinking ,can you smell the smoke ? :confused:, but what you said made a lot of sence so I loaded a dummy round to the orignal length I was using and measured it with my caliper , I know this isn't the best method , and the round measured 2.432" for a C O A L . I then chambered the round and removed it and then re measured it. The jam seated round now measured 2.365". I'm not sure at what point from the 2.432" to the 2.365" the bullet actually started to hit the riffling but I would venture to guess somewhere around 2.375" . When I lowered the seating stem to it's presant depth I get an OACL of 2.370" and after chambering the round , removing it and re measureing it I get 2.368 " CAOL. That would mean that I'm only jamming the bullet now by .002" . I hope this explains what I've been doing . To me this does show that my rifle doesn't like a heavy jam for sure. Did I mention that I have a zero free bore chamber ? Thanks again for reading my ramblings.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
118-10

I have been shooting the 118-10`s for the past 8 years, at least a couple of dozen of them, and they have really shot good for me when I do my part and have even brought home a couple pieces of wood.

HUMBLE HENRY:D:):eek:

I have tried 10's

But the way I go at things I found them to be finicky to deal with. I settled in on 7's and 118's and they have done ok by me. I like the idea of 112's and ewen 100g bullets too and have had good results with them; even in a full 308.

I have heard 34.4 to 34.6 mentioned most often as THE range for H-4198. I haven't used it. I used N-130 until it became so Dear and Unobtanium. I switched to Re-7 and like it the very best, so far. I am using it in most of my 30's and it seems to work well.

Headed for the range again sometime in the morning to try more test loads. Maybe even post a picture or two if I get it right.:D

Al , you got me to thinking ,can you smell the smoke ? :confused:, but what you said made a lot of sence so I loaded a dummy round to the orignal length I was using and measured it with my caliper , I know this isn't the best method , and the round measured 2.432" for a C O A L . I then chambered the round and removed it and then re measured it. The jam seated round now measured 2.365". I'm not sure at what point from the 2.432" to the 2.365" the bullet actually started to hit the riffling but I would venture to guess somewhere around 2.375" . When I lowered the seating stem to it's presant depth I get an OACL of 2.370" and after chambering the round , removing it and re measureing it I get 2.368 " CAOL. That would mean that I'm only jamming the bullet now by .002" . I hope this explains what I've been doing . To me this does show that my rifle doesn't like a heavy jam for sure. Did I mention that I have a zero free bore chamber ? Thanks again for reading my ramblings.

John

It is my advice to buy a bullet comparitor to attach to your caliper . You will be able to measure loaded rounds this way reasonably accurately. You can then tell where you are at, seating depth wise. Sinclair has a small selection of them for sale. I have what is now the Sinclair comparitor ( formerly Stoney Point). They sell a Davidson also. I have had one of their nuts for years but don't find it to be accurate enough for this work.

10 ogive BIB bullets

For what it's worth, I used Randy Robinett's 10 ogive 118 bullets to shoot a 250-25X target at the Black Creek, VA. range in a VFS match in 2006. They are finicky. They only like X's!!!! :eek:

For what it's worth, I used Randy Robinett's 10 ogive 118 bullets to shoot a 250-25X target at the Black Creek, VA. range in a VFS match in 2006. They are finicky. They only like X's!!!! :eek:

I hear ya David , did Sid Goodling use your rifle at the first Thurmont shoot this year? He built my rifle as well. I shot the bench to his right. My rifle is a 700 Remington,couldn't afford one like yours. I now have it shooting in the mid to high 1's . John

Back