3 jaw set tru vs 4 jaw independant...

I never said I tapped a rifle barrel! Gun work is less than 1% of my machine work. Universal chucks for light to medium duty,four jaw for real holding.

yes but this is a benchrest gunsmith forum......

ya make a statement, it is about gunsmithing unless you say else.

mike in co

what you meant to say , was on your lathe , with your chuck and your skills, you could not save time, nor get under 1/2 thou.....

cause i have an expesive 13x40 with a knockoff buck chuck, and i have been able to dial in to 2-3 tenthou..as in spliting increments.

i find the buck quick to dial in.

just a novice in the chambering world

mike in co

Could you be any more condescending or arrogant Mike? I meant to say exactly what I said. I have been machining for 28 years. The lathe I use is just over 1 year old, as is the chuck. I'm not a novice operator on inferior equipment.

The OP asked for opinions, not your opinion of other people's opinion. Thread Cop.

Could you be any more condescending or arrogant Mike? I meant to say exactly what I said. I have been machining for 28 years. The lathe I use is just over 1 year old, as is the chuck. I'm not a novice operator on inferior equipment.

The OP asked for opinions, not your opinion of other people's opinion. Thread Cop.

go back and read your original words....you say .

you say cannot save time......thats not an opinon its a statement..."time cannot be saved"....

"A 3 jaw that is good enough to do chamber work with costs $2000."
another statement.....
yet a quality buck can be had for $1000 or so.

you not saying "in my opinion"..you are making black and white statements.

and....
your mentioning of using a second adjustment in setup on a buck chuck makes me think you do not know how it is intended to be used.

tighten the jaws for the load and adjust using chuck screws...done.

mike in co
from enco, br size 3 jaw buck chuck/tru set with adapter plate...$1142.96

Last edited by a moderator:
SBindy

Why would you need a $2000 3-jaw to do barrel work??. The little $500 3-Jaw Buck set-true on my Pratt & Whitney Tool Room Lathe does a great job. Heck, as I said before, I have my choice of anything. I prefer the little 3-jaw set-true.

Here is a tip. Just do not loosen the face screws on your set-true. The four screws that adjust the body radilly will move it with a small cheater on the 3/8 allen wrench. With barrel work, there is never enough cutting force to ever cause the thing to shift.

All of our big manual lathes have 4-jaw independent chucks. We have large 3-jaws, but as has been noted, the holding power is not sufficient for the majority of the work we do in these machines.

We just bought a new 28 inch swing x 24 ft Kingston Manual Lathe that came with out a chuck. We bought a Steel Cushman. You can amagine what that puppy set us back..........jackie

sbindy

.....get use to it, Mike is such a gentleman and a really happy guy! His positive posts are the norm ;). Strange how you could have possibly interpreted his post in a negative fashion? ........Jan

Why would you need a $2000 3-jaw to do barrel work??. The little $500 3-Jaw Buck set-true on my Pratt & Whitney Tool Room Lathe does a great job. Heck, as I said before, I have my choice of anything. I prefer the little 3-jaw set-true.

Here is a tip. Just do not loosen the face screws on your set-true. The four screws that adjust the body radilly will move it with a small cheater on the 3/8 allen wrench. With barrel work, there is never enough cutting force to ever cause the thing to shift.

All of our big manual lathes have 4-jaw independent chucks. We have large 3-jaws, but as has been noted, the holding power is not sufficient for the majority of the work we do in these machines.

We just bought a new 28 inch swing x 24 ft Kingston Manual Lathe that came with out a chuck. We bought a Steel Cushman. You can amagine what that puppy set us back..........jackie

The 3jaw chuck that was purchased for our lathe was 2K. I was instructed to always loosen the screws in the face of the chuck to keep them from marring the interior surface of the chuck which would make it difficult to adjust in the future. Of course, that was after I had already left them snug and adjusted it.:D

I worked in a gear shop that had a lathe that big. We only had a 4jaw for it. Indicated a part took quite a while on that thing. I was prayin for a 3jaw when I had to run it! Dreaming was more like it, considering the spending habits of the shop owner.:rolleyes:

.....get use to it, Mike is such a gentleman and a really happy guy! His positive posts are the norm ;). Strange how you could have possibly interpreted his post in a negative fashion? ........Jan

naw...but the truth hurts sometimes.........

it was not negative...it was facts...the owner obviously does not like facts pointed out, so it was "negative"...lol

now jan's post..there was something positive added to the discussion.......

The 3jaw chuck that was purchased for our lathe was 2K. I was instructed to always loosen the screws in the face of the chuck to keep them from marring the interior surface of the chuck which would make it difficult to adjust in the future. Of course, that was after I had already left them snug and adjusted it.:D

I worked in a gear shop that had a lathe that big. We only had a 4jaw for it. Indicated a part took quite a while on that thing. I was prayin for a 3jaw when I had to run it! Dreaming was more like it, considering the spending habits of the shop owner.:rolleyes:

so just how big is the lathe we are talking about.......maybe a little over size for the average gunsmith ??

mike in co

naw...but the truth hurts sometimes.........

it was not negative...it was facts...the owner obviously does not like facts pointed out, so it was "negative"...lol

now jan's post..there was something positive added to the discussion.......

Maybe we should all just send our posts to you for proofreading since you seem to have put yourself in the position of moderator?

You could determine fact from fiction, validity of opinions, etc. I know! You could get your own website and make your own rules there! Judging by the time it takes you to do it on this forum, you would be a very busy man indeed. No wonder you have so many posts.:rolleyes:

The whole country went to 'ell in a handbasket!!

Actually, pre 1982 pennies were solid copper. 1982 pennies were mixed. Post 1982 pennies were made from some crap the ChiComs sent us when we borrowed money from them. Same crap they put in the dog food we got and the same crap that is in a $29.95 DVD/VCR player you get at Wally World.

hey, don't be down on the ChiComs. they have moved on to more important things, like including lead and lead paint in children's toys, poison in milk for their own people, etc.

that makes them equal opportunity scumbags now.

yes but this is a benchrest gunsmith forum......

ya make a statement, it is about gunsmithing unless you say else.

mike in co

Mike, I said a four jaw is the best choice for holding power on bigger jobs. I just realized that most of the comrads on this site are Amerikans and are used to little guns for benchrest shooting. Here in Minsk, Belarus we mostly use the 20MM lahti for benchrest so I guess for the westerner your puny little lathes can get you by for the tiny calibers of 50 cal and lower. Da?

Mike, I said a four jaw is the best choice for holding power on bigger jobs. I just realized that most of the comrads on this site are Amerikans and are used to little guns for benchrest shooting. Here in Minsk, Belarus we mostly use the 20MM lahti for benchrest so I guess for the westerner your puny little lathes can get you by for the tiny calibers of 50 cal and lower. Da?

Do you shoot that 20mm Lahti free recoil??? ;-)

Maybe we should all just send our posts to you for proofreading since you seem to have put yourself in the position of moderator?

You could determine fact from fiction, validity of opinions, etc. I know! You could get your own website and make your own rules there! Judging by the time it takes you to do it on this forum, you would be a very busy man indeed. No wonder you have so many posts.:rolleyes:

you never mentioned the size of the lathe you are refering to.

i said novice at chambering. i did not say i was a novice on a lathe. i started in 1976 so that would be 34 years since you brought it up.

the issue is the posting of black and white "statements" vs posting "opinions".
i am pretty good at english, i actually went to school. yes the poster was asking for opinions. and again this is BENCHREST GUNSMITH forum, replies should be in that context. some people posted opinions....you did not. its english and its here for all too see.

have you guys tried 8208 XBR in your 20mm lahti's ?

mike in co

you never mentioned the size of the lathe you are refering to.

i said novice at chambering. i did not say i was a novice on a lathe. i started in 1976 so that would be 34 years since you brought it up.

the issue is the posting of black and white "statements" vs posting "opinions".
i am pretty good at english, i actually went to school. yes the poster was asking for opinions. and again this is BENCHREST GUNSMITH forum, replies should be in that context. some people posted opinions....you did not. its english and its here for all too see.

have you guys tried 8208 XBR in your 20mm lahti's ?

mike in co

I'm bored with you Mike. see ya

Back