270 accuracy?

Wow! Great set-up!

What loads/combos does it like? How does it shoot?

Only shot 10 factory rounds so far to break the barrel in.
Will start working up loads soon.
Will base those first loads using the Sierra SMK 135gr bullet.
Initial loads will be 0.010" off the lands at about 2900-3000 FPS.

Unless anyone has a better suggestions? ;)

Roy

Here is a photo of the new 270 Win rifle completely assembled.

Roy

finished.jpg

To anyone in the world who's playing with a 270, do yerself a favor and spend some time loading Barnes, specifically the TTSX and LRX lines.

Barnes has completely re-written the rules, reset the paradigm regarding accurate, effective hunting bullets. TTSX's fly so much like Nosler Ballistic Tips that I've spent thousands of rounds using the two side-by-each for testing prototype stuff. I trust them down to well under quarter minute.

Barnes 129gr LRX and 130gr TTSX will make a 270 into a ridiculously effective and accurate tool......

This from a guy who's spent 30yrs preaching that the magnum 30cal's are TOO LIGHT for elk. (Or for African plains game)

I can now add "UNLESS YOU'RE SHOOTING BARNES BULLETS"

The idea of a 130gr pill shooting through an elk at 3000fps was completely ludicrous just a few yrs back. But a 130 TTSX will do exactly that.

Another way to think....just saying....If someone was interested in building a rifle like a 270 or something with a capacity like a 270, maybe they should look at a 280 Rem. Bullet selection is much greater for quality bullets with a larger span of weights available, Lapua makes 30-06 brass that could be necked down and velocities are definitely comparable if not a bit greater. But this thread is about the 270, so......just saying.

Last edited:
Another way to think....just saying....If someone was interested in building a rifle like a 270 or something with a capacity like a 270, maybe they should look at a 280 Rem. Bullet selection is much greater for quality bullets with a larger span of weights available, Lapua makes 30-06 brass that could be necked down and velocities are definitely comparable if not a bit greater. But this thread is about the 270, so......just saying.

And the next step is............ just build a 30-06 and be DONE with it ;)

Another way of saying, "If you're a reloader there is absolutely NOTHING that a 16ga can do that a 12ga can't do better."

And the next step is............ just build a 30-06 and be DONE with it ;)

Another way of saying, "If you're a reloader there is absolutely NOTHING that a 16ga can do that a 12ga can't do better."

A bit late to the party with those comments.
What I need is encouragement with what I have just finished building not suggestions to build something different .... lol
Although I must admit I have a 28" 6.5 Creedmore barrel on order at the moment.

I use a 16GA CSMC RBL SxS for South Dakota Pheasant hunting and Montana Grouse hunting and I can assure you it carries a lot better than any 12Ga.

Back