270-08

Paul...

The other problem is that the bullets jackets are built to work at speeds of the only two other factory .270 chamberings for years (.270 Win and .270 Whetherby Mag). building a slower .270 would result in hunting bullets not working well at further ranges. Minor problem for close range guys but major problem if you "just have to" make a long shot.

Paul

have you read the interesting article in PS...270 vs. 7mm? I always thought of the 270 as a solution in search of a problem :eek:

The Nosler

Ballistic Tips (130 gr.) we use blow up on the shoulder blade of a deer if shot in a 270 Win.

Neither Glorya or I have ever shot a deer with that gun at over 100 yds. here in Michigan. We hunt in thick woods. If we went out west for deer or elk it would get a hotter load and different bullets.

As it is it's extremely accurate and easy for Glorya to shoot straight with the light recoil.

Dick

Last edited:
One demerit regarding the issuance of a standardized 270-08 is the lack of target bullets for this caliber. Hunting bullets galore, sure, but unlike the .308 or .224, not really a line-up of target bullets.

I seem to recall some articles that commented that no one had ever really figured out just what the "right" twist is for the .270. Ten twist barrels work well enough for live game. rifles and there was even someone who wrote an article for PS about his efforts with a .270 Win in a benchrest type rifle that were better than many people would have expected, but, in the end, he was limited by the selection of bullets as you observe.

Either side of the the .270 there is such a wonderful selection of 6.5mm and 7mm bullets that I guess the .270 has simply been overshadowed.

I will have to look, but I think the .270-08 was mentioned in the Ackley book with a comment to the effect that it did not offer the flexibility of either a 6.5-08 or the 7-08, both of which are truly fine cartridges.

Cheers

Thors' Hammer

My few experiences with the 270 cal. are that it kills as if the animal were struck with lightning! (Whitetail deer) But...the same experience with 6.5, 7 mm and .308 with the right bullets. I see no reason that this cartridge wouldn't be as good or better than anything out there in any other caliber!
P.O. Ackley and Mashburn tried just about everything there was to try with this cartridge...You're personal preferance as to which caliber and bullet suits you best...are all on you!
Mark

I'm in Ireland at present, and ".270" (I'm assuming that is really .277:D) is the largest calibre they'll legally allow plebs to have.

I've a .308 on my English ticket, and a .223 so I'm tempted to get a .264 or .277 barrel for one or both.

I know that a lot is made of the high sectional densities of 6.5mm bullets, but the BCs that I've seen listed put them in the same class as 180gr .30 calibre bullets, so nothing particularly special there, and the African guys who I've spent time with slagged the long skinny 6.5mm bullets for bending when they hit a decent bone.

I know there is very, very little in it, but my slight favour would be to go for the extra 13 thou in bullet diameter, and the availability of 180gr bullets if I ever want them.

Does anyone know where to download SAAMI / ANSI tolerenced drawings for .308win cases and chambers?

Forgot to say, Vaughn, in "Rifle accuracy facts" used a .270 Win chambered Rem 700 as his experimental rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackie, The 270 Redding is close and dies are available. Kiff has a 270-08AI reamer print. I believe the Ackley book has some old load info.
Butch

Back