.262 neck to .269 --will Finish reamer do the job?

matchman

Im thinking of setting back the barrel to get a new leading edge on the chamber (currently .262).
I need a finish chamber reamer any how for future barrels and would like to go to a .269 neck. I "assume" i can use a finish reamer to do this ?
Removable Pilot or solid ?
Thanks for any help.
Adam

Adam

I have done this countless times.

Just set the barrel back up dead true. You have to be carefull because remember, the only part of the reamer contacting the chamber will be the neck. (not counting the pilot). Be very gentle as you ream out the neck portion, as it will only be cutting a very small amount..

After the reamer starts making contact with the body and shoulder area of chamber, just gently run it in enough to establish a clean throat area. This will usually only be about 1/2 a thread, depending on how many rounds the old chamber had fired, and how long the originol free bore was.

You will notice that it will hardly touch the chamber body. Of course, this depends on the size of the originol chambers body.

Then, just re-establish the cone clearance and headspace.

Call Dave Kiff. He has allof my .269 neck reamers on file, all the way from a "zero" freebore to the .055......jackie

Matchman

Removable. But, the pilot Dave furnishes will be the minimum for the caliber you are shooting.

Since I use .237 4-groove Krieger Barrels, I end up only using two pilots out of the set of ten, the .2368 or the .2370.........jackie

Removable. But, the pilot Dave furnishes will be the minimum for the caliber you are shooting.

Since I use .237 4-groove Krieger Barrels, I end up only using two pilots out of the set of ten, the .2368 or the .2370.........jackie

Jackie:

I take it Dave would furnish a set of 10 pilots as one required, say from .2995 to .3005". This would cover the tolerance for Shilen "Match" 30 cal barrels, and I suppose most others.

Jeffrey Tooker

That's correct. Dave can furnish you with any size pilot you desire. They come in .0002 increments.........jackie

Jackie:

This brings up a question about 30 BR. The comments on barrel life seem to infer that the life of the actual barrel can be several thousand rounds. This however would seem to assume that the chamber is deepened and re headspaced form time to time. So one could get a pilot for that barrel and use it on any subsequent barrels that it might fit.

Jeffrey Tooker

Jackie,
Im lost as to what freebore to select 0-.055 ?
I do not have a pet bullet per say.
I tend to purchase bullets in 100 box.
Seams like Berger 68Gr Flat Base is easy to come by.
Im just curious why Boat tails for you ??
I thought conventional wisdom was BT for long ranges and FB for 100-200 yos.
Ok a little research says a lot of winners use BT.
I looked a Barts bullets he recommends .045 freebore . What's the deal with you and "0" ....please enlighten me.

Last edited:
Ordered a ( Jackie reamer ).269 with .035 freebore .
with pilots .2368 or the .2370 for my Kreiger 4 groove barrel.

Matchman

The Barts Boatail actually has about a .030 further in set-up than does the Bruno Boatail that I normally use. What that means is the o-give of the Bruno is a little shallower at that point that contacts the lands, probably by about 1/2 a number or so.

I think the .035 is a great choice, you will be able to shoot Barts Ultras, Barts Boatails, and a host of other bullets of similiar design.

Of the current crop of these "double radius bullets", the Bruno has the furtherest out set-up in order to get to the lands.

Myidea was to get some of the bullet backinto the neck, getting the overall capacity of the chamber back where it should be, (in my opinion).

It has served me well in the past.........jackie

Back