260 Remington (Lapua brass problem)

Alinwa-I would be interested in why you would build a 6.5X47 over a 260. Getting ready to build a 6.5 myself and am leaning toward the 260 Rem.

Alinwa-I would be interested in why you would build a 6.5X47 over a 260. Getting ready to build a 6.5 myself and am leaning toward the 260 Rem.

My first long range target rifle was a .243AI. At the time, when I started building the rifle, it ruled the roost.......by the time I'd gotten my first one built (took a year) the little 6BR was giving it a run. But I continued trying to work the bugs out of the .243AI, 7 barrels on 5 different platforms, several years of work and all for naught. I had my first 6BR built and ba-da-BOOM! It was like night and day. That teeny liddle 6BR basically did everything I WANTED the 243AI to do.

Loong story short, 12yrs with "308 cases" (and 22-250) and then 6yrs playing with "BR cases" (including PPC) led me to conclude that for long-range accuracy work there's a lot to be said for small primer/small flashhole cases.

Right now, having spent some serious money in this endeavor, I wouldn't consider any of the large primer cases. If I did choose to build a "260 Rem" I'd spec it myself (35 degree shoulder, .010/inch body tsaper and fat butt.... like .005 over) and then I'd make my cases from the new 308 Palma brass.

6.5X47L is a lot easier.

It will eat the 260 Rem for lunch.

This from a guy who's crazy enough to have paid people to rechamber the same barrel as many as six times, the same guy who's ordered "consecutive barrels" from Krieger, paid to have them chambered and then PAID TO HAVE THEM SWITCHED, just to try test chamberings head-to-head.

Now, if real long-range ACCURACY isn't your driver here, ignore all this and build whatever you want :)

Ohhh, and the 6.5X47L will shoot faster too....

al

Back