.260 Remington for F-Class?

E

Eludium

I have become intirested in shooting F-Class and have been researching what caliber to shoot. 6mm Dasher seems to be the most popular caliber across the board. I was wondering if anyone shoots .260 Remington? What advice would you experienced shooters give me regarding a choice between those two calibers? Thanks for your input.

The most popular caliber has been 6.5-284. There is a big swing now towards 7mm of some sort. Lots of .284s, .284 Shehane and 7mm magnums. WSM and RSAUM.

If like a lot of people, you don't live very close to a 1k range and will be doing the majority of your shooting @ 600yds or less... the 6 Dasher (or even the plain 6 BR) is pretty hard to beat most days (assuming the weather isn't just absolutely horrid), plus barrel life is considerably improved over some of the serious 'wind bucker' cartridges. If you're shooting for fun there's nothing really 'wrong' with either cartridge - but Dave/Zilla is right about the current trend among the top shooters who are in it to win @ the long yard lines.

I shot .260 for a long time in tactical matches, using the sierra 142s - much less wind to deal with then .308 at any distance. For F-Class I have shot 7WSM going on nearly 6 years now, and yes it has become very popular - especailly at the 1,000 yard line. At 600 yards and shorter, nearly any 6.5 or 6mm cartridge can be very competitive, personally I love my 6x47 Lapua at the 600 yard line (I run it out of a tactical rig using a bipod and sand sock), but the .260 can be very competitve there also.

Jeffvn

Thanks for the input and sorry for the delayed response. My health has created a few challenges latley. I am going to be shooting predominatley 600yd matches. I live in Denver Colorado and the wind blows here a fair amount. With this input what would you choose between the .260 and the 6mm Dasher? Thnaks!

I have never run the dasher, but it seems to be very competitive in most things it trys. Personally, I look more at the bullets, their wind bucking abilities and the anticiapted velocities then the chambering per se, but I'm not a pure Benchrest shooter. If you are going to run them at roughly the same velocities, then the edge goes to the 6.5mm bullets as having the better BC at the same velocities. Neither is going to have bad recoil, as compared with a 180 grain Berger, JLK, or Sierra in 7mm.

But if you are not going to be shooting beyond the 600 yard line, then the BC becomes slighly less critical, as teh wind has less time to work on you then it does at 1,000. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Jeffvn

Back