250-25x

George Atkins

IR 250-25X targets don't happen often, actually they are RARE. But on 4-20-2019 there were two shot.

Congratulations to Bruce Hornstein at Piney Hill in Va. and James Garrett at Chickenfoot in Ga. Great shooting by two great competitors.

Both great Achievements!

The Rifle that James used (Freddie) belonged to JP Nelson that Passed away two days after a Raffle for Freddie on March 30! This was Freddie`s First match with out JP and it was a good one ! 65X`s in First Match and a 250/25X and winner of the Gulf Coast Regional in The second match! A great day for Freddie, James ,& JP !

Freddie:

TenX XIII
Smith by John Higdon for Freddy Gaddis
Jewell Trigger
Shilen Ratchet
Doyle Anglin Dixie Stock
Night Force

Last edited:
Eley 1018-

Pretty Sure James was shooting 1018-2314 and Bruce Was Shooting 1018-2308! All that #2 batch was pretty killer stuff !

Thanks, George.

Like Willy said I was shooting 2018-2308.

My rifle is a Turbo V1. This was Bill Hinegardner's gun, made and smithed by him. It makes 10.5 lb. weight so I use it to shoot 3 Gun and UL. Stock is a Bill Pippin. Bix 'n Andy trigger. Leupold 36x BRD scope.

The original Ratchet finally gave up and was leading terribly and Gordon Eck re-barreled a Ratchet for me (3 day turn-around!!!) last year.

Bruce

Thanks, George.

Like Willy said I was shooting 2018-2308.

My rifle is a Turbo V1. This was Bill Hinegardner's gun, made and smithed by him. It makes 10.5 lb. weight so I use it to shoot 3 Gun and UL. Stock is a Bill Pippin. Bix 'n Andy trigger. Leupold 36x BRD scope.

The original Ratchet finally gave up and was leading terribly and Gordon Eck re-barreled a Ratchet for me (3 day turn-around!!!) last year.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, nice job.

What else??

Just so everyone runs out and buys one, but I’m pretty sure that James on Freddie was shooting a j&j long slide and I know Bruce was shooting a don blue long tube on his rifle. So when sales for bloop tubes goes trough the roof after this post both James and Bruce should get rich and possibly a sponsorship. I’ll just accept an advertising write off if y’all could help me out. Start the orders!

Jason

Speaking of bloop tubes

Three guys in Southern Maine had DiOrio build them rifles a couple of years ago and they all came with bloop tubes on them and all of them shoot very well. One in particular. All have Octagons. They got position stocks on them not realizing what they really were, I don't think, because all of them are used for UL Benchrest.

Pete

Just so everyone runs out and buys one, but I’m pretty sure that James on Freddie was shooting a j&j long slide and I know Bruce was shooting a don blue long tube on his rifle. So when sales for bloop tubes goes trough the roof after this post both James and Bruce should get rich and possibly a sponsorship. I’ll just accept an advertising write off if y’all could help me out. Start the orders!

Jason

Which now raises a question I have always pondered.
What do you, or anybody else for that matter believe bloop tubes may do ?
I have no hard opinion on the matter, and realize some guys use them, some not, but not really aware of any hard opinion as to the WHY.
I don’t think I have ever seen any comprehensive thread on the matter as well, so perhaps an adult conversation is in order.

Tim: bloop tubes extend the sighting plane on a metallic sight rifle. They are very effective at that function. What many of us call bloop tubes, or barrel ornaments, or whatever have an entirely different function since we BR shooters use scopes, not metallic sights.

The only thing I know for certain is they can change the sound of the round. Sit next to a Pappas slide and you will quickly know that you forgot to put your ears in. The Don Blue tube not so much.

I have used such devices in an attempt to prove their worth. The ONLY time I have felt success of any sort is cutting a Pappas slide to a specific PRx dimension. That one remains on that rifle with a 2 groove BM smithed by the late Bill Myers. Performance improvement is negligible, but it remains.

I've probably gone through 4 or 5 cases of good ammo in my attempts. Other than trigger time practice they have been fruitless. I have also shaved the tuner to reduce weight so the device and tuner weigh what just the tuner weighed without. Again, fruitless.

My conclusion. With my rifles and my barrels and my ability there is no discernible difference with or without on a well tuned rifle. Others won't shoot without them. I have a box full of devices that stay in the box these days. bob

Yes, I am aware of that information.
It may very well boil down to “works better with it” which is fine I guess. There must be a few definitive opinions out there......we’ll see..........maybe.

Pretty sure many of us just put stuff on our rifles until we get something that shoots better. There's no other explanation that I can find. Let's say that someone taped a photo of their cat on the rifle, bought a new lot of ammo and then placed better than ever before. The photo will not come off!

Pretty sure many of us just put stuff on our rifles until we get something that shoots better. There's no other explanation that I can find. Let's say that someone taped a photo of their cat on the rifle, bought a new lot of ammo and then placed better than ever before. The photo will not come off!

How did you know about the cat, Wilbur???

I've seen one work on a rifle

but I wonder if they aren't just more tuner weight. I've fooled with them some but never found any consistency with them. I have a Slide and just the little Harrell's tube that screws on the tuner. Make interesting sounds though.

Pete

Back