243 winchester

T

tpotts

It is getting really windy here as winter starts. I cannot currently shoot rimfire accurately due to conditions. Thinking about the purchase of a commercial 243 to shoot at 100 and 200 yds, needs to cost less than $1000 and have a action that I can build around. Any suggestions would appreciated. Thinking about Remington, CZ, Howa, Winchester, but need some help. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Which Model Remington would be Best????

Which model Remington 243 would be best. any 700? Varmint model? Any year?

IMOP id go with the savage model 12 you can still pick one up under $1000 new and you can upgrade to another barrel or caliber very easily later on. Not sure on the 243 for 100-200 yard stuff. If your only shooting targets and dont need the extra energy id go for the 223 or 22-250 they will be quite a bit cheaper to shoot and the barrel should last a little longer. You would be realy well off if you spent a little more and got the model 12 lrpv and got it in the 6mm br this combo would be hard to beat with out spending serious money on a custom or a cooper.

You'll want a 1:8 twist... and I'm not sure any factory .243's are 1:8. Having said that, I suggest a 6mm BR with a 1:8 twist. Low recoil, good barrel life and accuracy. Savage has four models with two starting under $1K. - nhk

I think I will order the 12 lrpv dual port in the 6mm. From the suggestions I have gotten here and reading a little. It seems to me a 700 action with the same $ investment would not equal it. I really enjoy rimfire bench, (shooting a shul) and would like something longer range for windy days. On a good day I will be able to win some small matches both rim and centerfire.

The 12 lrpv dual port in the 6mm should retail around $1126 (my mistake, I was thinking it would be under $1k). Too bad they don't have the Model 12 Long Range Precision (.260 Rem, ~$900) in 6mm BR.

You have a private message. - nhk

I would go savage and buy one with a laminate stock at least in varmint configuration and buy a new barrel from northland shooters supply(they are a sponser on savage shooters forum) and buy a mcgowen barrel for 280.00 and his barrel nut wrench ffor 25.00 and vice blocks for 30.00 at the same time.In essence you need a go gage for 20.00 from midway or northland .I would buy a used gun as you will be getting a new barrel anyways.I have built 5 savages using used components and new barrels for less than 650.00. You can email me at jonbearman@yahoo.com.with further questions.

I typically go to WalMart and buy a Remington 700 Rifle for $399. There may even be a Remington mail-in rebate going on right now. Sell the stock and the barrel. Then buy a new barrel and have it chambered for whatever you want.

It is getting really windy here as winter starts. I cannot currently shoot rimfire accurately due to conditions. Thinking about the purchase of a commercial 243 to shoot at 100 and 200 yds, needs to cost less than $1000 and have a action that I can build around. Any suggestions would appreciated. Thinking about Remington, CZ, Howa, Winchester, but need some help. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Using this criteria from the OP, my advice would be to buy any standard Varmint. Remmy, Savage, or whichever one trips your trigger and fits budget. Go with the 223 caliber. Light recoil, and more than enough accuracy to keep you in the mix at local matches in the ranges you have specified.

DR

Your better off with the 243 then the 6mm because lapua makes brass for the 243 and not the 6mm But if it was me i would build a 6br.

Back