22x47 Lapua ?

Sam in Va

Central VA
Any body trying this yet??? And if so are you just setting them up for the heavier bullets?
I wonder how it would behave with a 40-55 grain pills. I already have an 8 twist 22-250 luv it, but don't want to go there again.. Thought it would be cool to use the 22x47 to launch the lighter pills. Swift velocities without the brass stretching... ??? Thoughts suggestions??? Would be used for a table gun for groundhogs. Thanks, Sam

give it a try

I would think that 1-14 with a 52gr match would be a nice shooting rig.
were you going to use this for group shooting?

Maybe.. I reload a friends 204, but never used it on G-hogs.... I like some splat factor.... 20 br would get me out to about 350... The 22x47 or 6x47 has sparked my interest...just trying to find out about it...

I built one and know of a few others out there..

I did mine with an 8" barrel and am shooting the 69SMK's at 3,600fps.. I haven't tried the 75's or 80's as the above combination works very well on varmints..

I also started to to a 12'' for the lighter bullets and may do just that some day. IMO it's a much nicer case to work with than the .22-250 or swift. I've had several of each.

If you use a repeater you may have to tweak the magazine box, spring, etc to get flawless feeding due to the .22x47 being a bit shorter than most short action rounds.

6 X 47 12 twist

with 70 gr Sierra Blitz kings and reloader 15. I am getting 3850 FPS with no bolt lift or primer issues - I do use CCI small magnum primers. Try varget as well. On a 3L Bat with a 28+ inch Krieger. Love it, love it, love it. Waiting till May for the first PD expedition of the summer. I test varmint loads on grapefruit for splat factor. Get them for free, don't like the taste. I really think this is "the" answer for this application. Great speed, accurate, better cross section than a 22, more mass. I am hoping all add up to better splat.

BTW,IMHO, I am not fond - at all - of non varmint bullets for varmints. Summer of 2008, I had to shoot PD's numerous times at extended ranges because I was pencil holing them.

Target bullets are great for targets. Use a purpose built varmint bullet for quick humane kills and better air time. Too soft hearted to watch a crawler.

Last edited:
I did a 20 x 47 Lapua Improved and it was a little rough on the throat But it was a joy to shoot and accurate. If you coupled the 22 X 47 to a heavier 75-80 grain bullets I'd think it would last.

Heres a rendering of my .20 Badger Buster.

20x47L.jpg

ML

22 x 47

Sam -

My 2 cents....

If you are going for live varmint, " dead is dead ".

Unless you just HAVE TO see the red mist, consider going w/ a 1-8
barrel of up to 30" lg.

Since you intend to use it as a " place gun ", wt is not a factor.

You wanna keep the expansion ratio out of the barrel burning range, and the fast twist.heavy bullet/slower powder route will help do some of that for you.
IF you made up such a long-barelled/fast twist rifle; you'd have a gun capable fo killing groundhogs out to 1,000yd.

Nothing you could make in a .224" cal 1-14 shooting light .224s would be able to do that. In fact, you' d start to be marginal on clean-kill terminal energy with a 1-14 and light 50grs at around 235yd ( again, using groundhog shooting as a reference ).

If you are all set up to afford multiple .224s, then heck... go and assemble both types. If not, the long barrel 1-8 .224" offers oodles of versatility.

I ran this exercise years ago, and once I graduated to the 1-8 .224" barrel;
I never felt need of any other .224" calibre set-up.
Mine was a " wildcat " ..... .35 Rem necked-down to .224" cal.

The 22-35 could put 3,500fps on a 75 "A"-Max ( using 40.5gr AA3100, and FED LR Magnum Match ). Best accuracy load was found w/ switch to
FED LR Match primer. This combo could put 450 fl lb on a groundhog, out to 966yd. 22-35 case cap is in same range as your notional 22X47.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Regards,
.357Mag

I cheated slightly, because finding dies was a big factor, I simply used a 22-250 AI reamer and left it .050" short. Trimmed the same amount off the dies.
Last weekend I chronographed some loads from 26" 1-8" barrel. Using H 4350 and 65gr SGK,=3725 fps.,open the bolt with one finger. I then tried some 90 gr.SMK with Rel 22= 3350 fps. same thing, open the bolt with one finger.

Sam -

Nothing you could make in a .224" cal 1-14 shooting light .224s would be able to do that. In fact, you' d start to be marginal on clean-kill terminal energy with a 1-14 and light 50grs at around 235yd ( again, using groundhog shooting as a reference ).
Best of luck in your endeavors.

Regards,
.357Mag

hmmmmm
50 gr with max load of 2200 aa powder has 264 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yds with a 300 yd zero 32 inch drop to 500. 26" 223.......(3588FPS)...
i currently shoot 52/53's at 3500/3600 fps from my 26".1/14 hart.
how much enrgy do you need ??
mike in co

Back