22ppc short powder ? Norma

Kirk Ethridge

i've been working with a 22-100, and not having much luck to be honest.

Powder valley now has Norma powder. what powder would we use in the ppc's? i know one of em used to be used by some in the ppc's.

I've been shooting 4198, 133, and did shoot a really small one with the 4198, but not consistant yet.

I've tested with the bullet just touching lands to few thou jam. to just off. I guess a good jump will be in order next.

Your experiences appreciated?

Kirk

100 short 22

I think your on the right track with 4198. V133 also shoots very well. all the 201 you can get in the case will shoot small. Pay close attention to your brass. While fitted necks work well in a 6 ppc, a 22 need a bit more release
in the necks. Jumping your bullets a few thousands while getting a little more clearence between the brass and neck might just suprise you.

Jump a bit...

Jumping your bullets a few thousands while getting a little more clearence between the brass and neck might just suprise you. Dave B

Yes, I agree with Dave. I too have seen those suprising results! Especially with 4198 and a typical 1.5deg 30 leade throat.

cale

Kirk,

Try some 322. It works well for guys in this area in cool and cold weather. Start around 24-1/2 grains and work up to 26 gr. So far it's the best cool/cold weather powder we've found for either a 6 or .22 PPC.

I just got my first 22. A 22 Waldog.

Filled the case with N-133 and a 52 Berger.

It shoots very tight with less recoil than I had expected. (10.4#)

These little 22s are a lot of fun.

reload with good dies

i am shooting 220/beggs and having the same trouble I think its in the brass and not having good dies makes it impossible (using wish dies) thats when you wish you had dies (still waiting on hornady)

Kirk,

How many times have you shot each case? If you are going by the first or second firing, you will find things improve a lot after they have been fire formed three times.

The first time you shot a .22 Short case, the groups will normally be terrible. Generally they are all cockeyed from having been formed and having the neck expanded. I keep an old worn-out barrel just for the first fire forming.

It looks like to me that the 200 would be better. I works better for me in a 30BR.

Dick and the 22

Dick, i've got a dozen rounds on the cases by now, i've tried several 133 lots. and also my couple pounds of scottish 322. to no avail.

I've shot one good group. a true zero with the 4198. other than that 1 group, i've shot nothing smaller than a nickel. the brass extracts fine

i've shot at least 200 rounds now. with various powder i only have 1 bullet though (getner) (plus non custom bullets yet to try)

i've got a couple more 22 barrels to chamber. guess i'll try the beggs now. I really wish i could get one to shoot?

Kirk

My new 22 WalDog, (PPC 0.125 Short) is shooting very tight with with a full case of N133 under a 52 Berger Moly bullet. It makes a very small hole, (Under 0.150 if I do not goof up.) and is better in the wind than I had expected.

With H322 @ 24+ grs and 52 Flower bullets it still has vertical about .3 or more.

I am using a hard jam into the lands. Over 0.060 into the lands as indicated by the marks on the bullet.

D.A. at the range is around 1,900 ft.

With N133 the tune on the barrel is quite wide. Much wider than my 6 PPC L.V. Barrels.

My experience is the 22 dia barrels do need very good bullets.

i've shot at least 200 rounds now. with various powder i only have 1 bullet though (getner) (plus non custom bullets yet to try)

Kirk

What does the concentricity of your chamber look like? ie When you look at the freebore/cone in the chamber does it look symmetric? A short 22 should beat nickel size groups with about any of the powders mentioned.

Kirk,

I had no idea it was that bad. Nickel sized groups at 100 yds. are very unusual for a .22 Short or a 6 PPC. My criteria...

Really bad........4's
Mediocre..........3's.
Any decent gun shoots.....2's.
Good gun, good load......... .150" average

You probably have a bad barrel. Have you changed scopes? There's something waaaaaay off there and it ain't the .22 Short cartridge.

Steve Robbins and Ron Breedlove shoot up here all winter long with a 6 PPC. They like H-322 best for cold weather. However, your nickel sized groups transend powder choice. You should be deciding which powder will take you from flat 2's down to .150" average.

FWIW Mike Ratigan won the Super Shoot with his .22 Short using around 26.5 gr. of a fast lot of 2003 VV 133. Bill Whatisname (I'm senile) won it with 4198 in his .22 Short.

Robbins had a gun problem a few years ago and came up to my place. We put one of my 36 Leup's on his gun after we both shot it (bad results) and it immediately shot well. That was the last I ever saw of that scope.

Try some of Bart's old standard .22 bullets and some of his Zia's. If neither one of them shoots, you got a gun problem. I use 26.1 to 26.5 gr. of the Scottish 322 in cool weather with those bullets and my .22's shoot great. Please note that 26.5 gr. is a HOT load and is best approached slowly from below.

Keep us informed.

Dick

Last edited:
Jerry...

I got an excuse... I'm a lot older than you. The only guy on here that's older than I am is Joe Haller.:(

Dick

Yeah, Forrester is the guy.

reloading data

Dick;
I hope you keep a keen mind on reloading data, and your articles for many more years.;)
Maarten

dick late reply

Dick,

this is a real late reply, i hope you get it... the barrel i could not get to shoot was a bad barrel in one way or another. i't the first one i've had that didn't shoot pretty darn good..... guess i was due. the other barrel i had chambered i'm just now testing and it is doing quite well..

e-mail me kirktink@earthlink.net

i have lost your e-mail address

Kirk,

If you now have a good barrel, good for you. I had an experimental barrel that actually shot about an inch. I put a tuner on it and could get two shots to just about touch. It's now in the junk pile.

I bought a Beggs tuner from Gene at the Super Shoot. I put it on Glorya's LV gun last week and shot it at home for half a day. It's the first time I ever got a .22 Short to shoot well with 322 in warm, humid weather. Glorya just retired and I needed to get her gun ready.

I shot it in our score match last Saturday with the tuner and the gun shot great with the Scot 322. (The shooter made many mistakes.) Highly recommend one of these tuners.

I'll email you so you have my address again.

Dick

Back