.224 valkyrie?

tillroot1

I haven't posted in a very long time, I am wondering if any of you folks have built a .224 valkyrie? if so, are you happy and would reccomend it? thanks, Ron.

The 224 Valkyrie hasn't cured cancer yet, but from the hype, you would think it has.

Since it's whole conception was based on it being a round for a semi auto gas gun, not too many bench shooters pay much attention. It looks like it will do just about anything a 22-250 will do but with a smaller bolt face.

The twist rates they advertise seem sort of skewed. A 100 grn 22 caliber bullet it would seem, would require a faster twist than 1-7, especially at the BC numbers they are touting. But that seems to be what people are using.

My brother has a AR chambers in 6.8 SPC, and is thinking about getting a Valkyrie barrel for it to shoot the 90 grn load.

Last edited:
My Son and I are starting a build now. We ordered a bolt action only reamer from PTG and a gain twist barrel from Bartlein that will finish at 1-5.9. Bartlein recommended using a .219 bore due to the choking effect of the rapid twist. It is going on a Rem. 700 We will find out if it works. Right now not a lot of components are available but I look for it to become available after the Shot Show.
Phil

I have 22 Grendel & 22 Nosler AR 15 uppers.

I much prefer the Grendel I built, extremely accurate & plenty of grunt.

It has the ability to seat the 80s way out there & still stay inside the mag, something the Nosler & Valkyrie lack.

Obviously no factory ammo about for the Grendel.

The Grendel can be problematic to mag feed in a bolt action unless it is Grendel specific

Back