.224 80grs comming apart

Butch!
Yes I think that is what I will do. But I'm not sure a set-back alone will fix the problem. If it's as rough as the smith says,I think I may still have problems. If I fire lap it and it fixes the bullets from comming apart then I may get another 500 rounds out of it before I have to toss it. That would be two more seasons at the rate I normaly shoot it.
This barrle dosen't owe me anything, it has gone longer than expected. I was told that it would be toast affter about 700rds.

J. Valentine

I have used molly and it did the same thing.
A 22-284 is only expected to last 500-700 rds... as its such a overbore wildcat.
Is there something about molly that is :confused:BAD?

When you say moly exactly what do you mean . Your own coated bullets or purchased commercial bullets?
How good is your Moly coating ?
If the problem is real bad then moly will not fix it . It just helps if the problem is marginal.
Good pure Moly disulphide MOs2 coatings are not bad , they do help barrel life if used from the start. There is a few potential draw backs you need to be aware of , that may actually be one of your problems . Seeing how you said the gun had not been used for 4.5 years. If you used moly then stored your gun without proper removal and then lubrication and checking and re lubricating the gun over the 4.5 years then some of the roughness in the barrel may be attributed to corrosion from the combustion products of moly .
Its a wild guess on my part but it sounds very suspicious.
MOs2 is not bad if you know how to coat the bullets properly and manage the cleaning and storage of the gun.
If you go to this thread It tells you what you need to know about MOs2.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=954687
Sounds to me like a new barrel is the best bet, and use MOs2 or High Grade HBN coatings from the very start .
At 500 to 700 shots barrel life I could shoot out a barrel in a few days.
When you get a new barrel try some of the new Berger thick jackets that they are making . I don't know when they will be for sale as bullets or what calibers they are available in but last time I heard they were working on them . With a new smooth barrel , coatings and the thicker jacket it should be a lot better .

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the fatory mollyed seirra 80gr match!

I guess I could be corrosion,as once it was cleaned and put away in jan2005, it ws NOT touched till jan 2009. I didn't shoot molly very offen prior to putting this gun away, my roloading data book states: the last 500 rounds through it were naked noslers 80gr,loaded at 49.3 of re19.

As for the Bergers I have only tried the old stock j4 jackets,they only go about 40-50 yards and come apart...just like the noslers...the seirras held together more offten.

I think I will have it re-barrled to a 22-243..I hope to push the 75gr amax to 3400-3450fps in a 9 twist 28" barrle.

That link was a little informative.. I think I knew about 3/4 of that info.

The most important part I DIDN'T know though..:eek:
YOU MUST OIL REGULARLY WHEN USING MOLLY.:eek:

however IN MY DEFENCE... this barrle IS stainless steel...which corrosion shouldn't be a problem......Right:confused:

I just finished doing the Tubb final finish system on it and.....

At the risk of JINKS ing myself, I did shoot 12 rounds out to 350 yards and not one came apart... temp was +10 c... so its a good start..

But I was unable to check velocitys, I would expect to see only 3375-3425 though. This load WAS 3490-3525 before the final finish system...51.3gr 4831 naked seiarra 80gr match.

I may be working just because of the lower velocitys... I will be home this weekend and I will check the velocity then and report back.

Thanks to all for your thoughts!:)

You can't ignore a gun for that long moly or not. I would say that corrosion has got into the firecracking edges and made it much worse than it should be.
If it was not a stainless barrel it would be damaged much worse.
Oil is not the best for long storage grease is better.
Clean the bore extra well and put in some oil lett it soak for a few minuets then very loose patch it out. Then patch in as much grease as you can get into the bore. This way it will protect the bore for a long time. Oil tends to run off and dry out leaving the bore unprotected. The grease over the top helps seal it all in.

22-284 &75 gr A-Max

I have had good luck with 49.5 grs. R22 and the 75 gr A-Max, good groups and it will smoke a grounghog. I have not had any problem with them coming apart.

Gaillard uses buttons. Get a new barrel and save your frustration, you know its worn out. I would get another from Gaillard considering it lasted so long the first time. Barrel grade stainless steel rusts and is magnetic.

I guess I sould start with " Take notes and LISTEN to EXPERIENCE"

Not that I would question Butch, but he was bang on..

I was home this past weekend,for the local Yote derby,all started fine first yote down @ 125 yards second shot downed one at 325 yards on the run third one down @280 yards, and all before 9:30 AM. It's looking like a very good morning, that is till about 10:30 when I pulled a stalk on a lone yote and decided to take the shot at 525 yards, there was a light 3-5 mph wind from right to left...... and MISSED! I never thought much about it, we went on to a gut pile ambush. I was about 700 yards west off the pile and buddy walked into the pile from the south. We had been here before and when the shooting starts the yotes run out to the west, It should have been like shooting fish in a barrle. Long story short It wasn't. Buddy got the first shot @ 280yards and like clock work the other two that were there came running just off to the north of me. The first one stoped at 410 yards from me I dialed it up and touched it off....$#!$^#:eek:MISSED! What the %$@#!!!
he lights out to the north and over the hill... second one heads more to the west of me, still in the open he finaly lets up to take that last look....the lieca says 378yards, so I put the cross hair a bit low and touch it off.....about 75 yards I see the tell tale POOF and yote #3 runs over the hill...:mad::mad:
Had I been able to pull that barrle right there,I would have left it right there.

Next morring we put 15 rounds of the final finish system through it. I did look a bit smoother but allso the lands did look a little more worn too,like they had creeped ahead a bit. We tryed a few groups and they where not too bad 3" @ 500yards , but only lasted for 18 rounds, then they real started to open up...5-5.5"@500yards...

The problem is solved now though;) I pulled the scope,bi-pod,sling...It's off to the gunsmith next week.
hopefully I'll have a new 22-243 in about 2 months.:D

Thanks to all that tryed to help out.

ANOTHER LESSON LEARNED!:)

Cut rifled BBL

I shoot 80 gr Bergers out of my 22-250AI .I've been told that I have throat erosion. Bullets stay together just fine. My bbl is a Rock Creek 5R cut rifled 8"twist 26"SS sporter weight. My load is 38.5grs of IMR 4007 for a MV of about 3360 FPS and about 1/2MOA at 100 yards.I'm a happy camper

Worker!
I can see that working OK, the J4 Jackets were ment to be shot at velocities lower than 3300fps....Not at 3500-3600fps.

This barrle was awsome with nosler 80grs and seirras 80grs, when it was new up to about 1050-1100 rounds.
The first 600-700 rounds it would shoot .2s @100yards and .4-.5moa @700yards,then at about 900-950 rds it droped off to .75moa @ 500-550yards most days, the last time I shot paper it would shoot one group @ .6-7.5moa @300 then the next group there would be a couple fliers out about 1moa... and some wouldn't even make the trip to 100 yards.

I need way better acurracy for shooting 700-900 yards, I like practicing on our siloets out to 1200 yards.:D

this was an awsome barrle all considering, it was only met to shoot 500-600-rds. I guess thats about when the REAL acuracy started to fall off.
It don't owe me anything.

Where do you live to have that kind of access

700 yards to 1200 ? Do you live near a desert ? Where are you doing this kind of shooting?

Worker
Currently I live in Calgary Alberta Canada, which no I haven't found a place to shoot beyond 350 yards. I Realy call Maple Creek Saskachewan HOME, there we have ALL kinds of places to shoot LOOOONG range. My buddy owns 3 sections of wide open land, we have metal targets all over at different ranges and different terrain.

Rustystud

three of the four guys that had 22-284s(1-9 twist) here, tryed shooting the 80grs and all started to come apart around 3600-3650fps, even in brand new barrles. the other guy didn't try anything more than 75gr A max but his barrle was a 1-8 twist. He settled on shooting 68 seirras... I think at around 3800 fps, which was a bit odd cuse I think they use the J4 jacket too.

Back