223 which factory brand?

B

ballistx

hi all. looking for a little experience info

I received some gift cards to Sportsmans Warehouse for birthday. I have been "accumulating" rimfires (new and old) lately. I am considering getting back into reloading and shooting small caliber centerfires. I have a Rem 700 in 222 and one in 22-250 (both about 30 years old and almost unfired). I have about 7,000 22 cal bullets in 52 gr. I also have several thousand 222 and 5.56 once fired brass.

All this leads me to the serious consideration of a knock around 22 caliber centerfire factory stock rifle from Sportsman's Warehouse. I am weighing heavily on the 223, even though I am not wild about having 2 calibers that close and maintining cartridge separation.

I was looking at the Remington 799 mini mauser action, and can get that in 222. About the only factory rifle left in 222.

What has been all of your experience at which brand and model is giving the best results, in general, based on the above?

Appreciate any info on your experience.

Thanks,

If ya want a shooter, grab a savage M12LRPV in 223 and don't look back, I'm grabbing my fire suit for what I'm typing next, the mauser style action was great in it's day, but it's day was 100 years ago, the new repo's are ok, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's old school,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

700 VLSS Thumbhole...

I bought a new one in the spring with the X-mark trigger in 223 and after I floated the barrel, broke it in and whipped up some handloads it shoots well. Will shoot 1/2 MOA with just about anything, .3s & .4s with handloads and a best of about .280 with 5 shots at 100yds, so far. That was with necksized, unturned Rem brass, Varget and Ballistic tips. I haven't tried my new Lapua brass or VV powder yet.
Bought a new Savage 223 about a month ago with the skinny stainless barrel, pillar bedded synthetic stock, and Accutrigger. The trigger is a bit better but the grouping so far is not as good, with most around 3/4-1 MOA. To be fair, the Savage only has about fifty rounds through it though and I have had 3 of 5 bullet holes touching on several groups.
I bought the Savage because my son was complaining that the VLSS is too heavy to carry (Bony kid). So if I can get the Savage to shoot 1/2 MOA I'm gonna sell the Remington and get another project.

Savage 223

If you have enough, go for the LRPV...otherwise, they have several less expensive models...

CZ Makes a nice 222 with a good adjustable trigger single set or not. Also the dreaded Mauser. Lite wt barrel only in 222 Rem. Choice of stocks and barrels in 223. Kenny

Last edited by a moderator:
223 factory

Forgot to mention, factory must be in USA. Have this thing about sending money and jobs offsore.

Appreciate the inputs so far. Money will definately be limited as looking for a knock around gun that will definately get used.

ballistx, You mentioned "looking at the Remington 799 mini mauser action, and can get that in 222. About the only factory rifle left in 222" The 799 is not made in USA. Kenny

Well, scratch the 799. :rolleyes:

I am guessing it is going to be a 223. I have a LOT of 5.56 brass that has not been converted to 222 and I lose quite a few to dimpling when resizing.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm with ya on scratching the 799. I've checked them out and it would rather have sling shot. A remington 700 SPS SS in 22-250 would make a real nice as you call it, knock around rifle. All kinds of add ons for it.:D

A friend of mine went to the Miles City range yesterday because there was no wind. He shot a 0.200" 5 shot group at 100 yards with a cheapest Rem700 box stock .223 with the cheapest Asian 6x18 scope with 40 gr Vmax moly 26 gr H335.

What does it all mean?
The .223 rifle is not as important as the "no wind".

Last edited:
Back