.222 Reminton Magnum

F

fastdart69

I recently acquired a .222 Remington Magnum 40X bench rest rifle - 20 inch barrel. I would be interested to know if anyone has any specific bullet weight and powder load experience with this particular caliber and/or rifle. I will be using this primarily at 100 and 200 yards. I appreciate any advice offered. Thanks.

i have great results with H4895 and 53gr. sierra match bullets. the .222mag. i agree it is a very much overlooked round.more people would be quite suprised if they would try it. where in illinois you from?? i'm from cental illinois also.

In my prairie dog guns i used a 50 and 55 grain bullet and around 28.8 gr of W748. Accurized 700 Rem actions and Hart bbls...........shot pretty good..........before i learned about wind flags........My tight neck chamber would run the 55 grainer at 3500fps.............i may have shot a little more powder in that one.

Later
Dave

I recently acquired a .222 Remington Magnum 40X bench rest rifle - 20 inch barrel. I would be interested to know if anyone has any specific bullet weight and powder load experience with this particular caliber and/or rifle. I will be using this primarily at 100 and 200 yards. I appreciate any advice offered. Thanks.

I own a Remington 40-XBBR in .222 Magnum (26" barrel) that I bought new in '74. By coincidence, I am loading for it today.

Best powders (IMO) are H322, Benchmark, IMR-8208-XBR, and H-4895, with a good 53/53gr flat based match bullet (or a 50gr plastic tipped bullet for critters). The 14" twist limits you to these weights.

Like Dave, I shot prairie dogs with a .222 Mag. Mine loved N133 and any good 52-55 gr. bullet. It shot the BR bullets best, but I normally used more fragile bullets like the V-Max or Blitz. Good shooting...James

Thanks all for your responses. Your help is much appreciated. RemRod - I'm in Springfield and do most of my shooting at Abe Lincoln Gun Club. I used to do a lot of shooting years ago and am now getting back into the sport.

Back