222 rem

Thank you bob

I was just thinking How long ago did you actually tested them powders
Their may be better powders available now

Thanks Chris

Bob Blaine

Hi Chris,

The last time that I picked up my Deuce has been about three years ago. It is nothing more than a first year build Remington 788 and still has been giving half minute accuracy pretty consistently from the bench at 100 yards. I have some LT-32 that I would like to try with it simply because I have never tried it as of yet. I know from talking with Fred Sinclair from when I had worked at Sinclair that Fred had mentioned that he has shot a lot of 748 Winchester as another powder that I have heard used a lot from others.

Since I had tried IMR 4895 at Mike's recommendation I simply have not tried much of anything else since I have been so satisfied with the consistency of its performance in my rifle as Mike had predicted.

Bob

Bob I could not under stand why them 788 shot so well The bores were so bad . I was talking to one of our best BR gun smith when they hit the market
and he could not under stand why thy shot so well
We see a lot of N133 being used[ hear [ down under ] All old stock we can not buy it no more

Last edited:
Bob Blaine

Hi Chris,

I had asked Mike about this as well. He had stated that most of what had been at play here has to do a lot with the action itself. It is a short, very stiff, action as compared to the 700 actions. The other attribute he stated had to do with a lock time that is even faster than the 700 action. He did say that the trigger could have been better but it had been of a "sufficient pull weight". I have scoped the barrel on this rifle and it is horrid looking but what I had seen is that most of the issues seen where all going in line with the bore axis. The only other things that have been done to the rifle is having to take a 1/4" off of the end of the muzzle and have it re-crowned and my gunsmith at that time had taken the pull weight down to an 18 oz. pull before he had passed away several years ago. It is needing to be freshened up but with him gone no one will redo it for me and I will be putting a Timney Trigger on it so that I can get rid of the creep that has cropped up since it had been re-worked about 4,000 rounds ago! Mike went on to say what had led to the demise of the 788 had been the fact that it did cost more to make than the 700. Remington has since sold the rights of the 788 to Pennsylvania Gun Parts and from what I had been told by them they have no plans to bring it back.

Last edited:
From what I remember it was a rear lock up The pin fall was very fast
But being rear lock up the cases stretched With a little over standard loads
Where they chamber in the 30/30 WIN Can not remember. When they cane on the market hear they where very low pieced May be half the price of the a 700 then
Thanks Bob

Last edited:
Back