222 rem

Many years ago I tried several powders, but Vihtavuori N133 was the most accurate and most consistent.

I have 2....222's, different actions, different barrel's, different scopes etc.
I did load development in 2 different years. In both my rifles N130 was the hands down winner, If I go pre loaded to the range my heavy 222 will out shoot my ppc at 100yds every time.

at what rang and how often

5 shot groups at 100yds, most of the times till I pull one into the 2’s

It’s a Shilen barrel on a Savage target action with a 6oz trigger.

Attachments

• 30687A5E-4B71-44B7-B6C7-227DEB1E1A4C.jpeg
    30687A5E-4B71-44B7-B6C7-227DEB1E1A4C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 451
GOOD shooting

Gees that is good shooting boys What cases are you using and the primers are you neck turning THANKS
Chris

I’m shooting Lapua brass with Federal 205M primers, the barrel has a .250” neck so I am turning necks to get 0.001” per side.

I’m seating to get ~ 0.008-0.010” from touching the lands.

Last edited:
I have a 722 also in .222. It only likes BL(C)-2 and 50gr bullets. It has the rear sight base bulge on the barrel.

Your's is an early model. Barrels were 26" and there were two different weights. After that they brought out what they called a transition model with out the barrel boss and barrels were 24".

I have 2....222's, different actions, different barrel's, different scopes etc.
I did load development in 2 different years. In both my rifles N130 was the hands down winner, If I go pre loaded to the range my heavy 222 will out shoot my ppc at 100yds every time.
Thanks what is your HB 222REM made up of

Bob Blaine

I had a chance to ask Mike Walker this question before he passed away several years ago. His answer was immediate and he recommended using IMR 4895. He said that the velocities will not be the fastest but it had been the powder of choice that he had used in the Remington Custom Shop for years as the "go to" powder for testing the .222 Rem. in the Remington Custom Shop rifles before they would leave. I thought that this had been worth testing for myself after talking to the man who had given all of us this fine little cartridge.

After testing it with the Berger 52gr. bullet and 50gr. Speer TNT I had found that he had been correct, at least insofar as my personal Deuce had been concerned! Velocities were around 200 fps slower than my two other powder choices that have excelled in my rifle and those two powders are RE-7 & N133 if I would not have any IMR 4895 to use.

All I can say is, Thanks Mike!

Bob Blaine

Last edited:
Back