222 rem

chris

Good day guys
Just how good is the 222 rem compered to say the 22 ppc
I have bought one Can you give me some good loads for BR Target shooting
thank you
Chris

I used V-133 and a 52 grain Match Bullet and a Federal 205 primer. Shot well. I just don,t remember the load. The starting load is 22 grains. If you looking for velocity it.s the 22 ppc. The Trip Duce is a accurate cartridge

John

Last edited:
IMR 4198 is a longstanding favorite in this cartridge. About 19.2 grains with a 50 to 53 grain target bullet works great. I use Federal 205M primers.

For varmints, I like H335 and a 50-53 grain match bullet. For pure accuracy, I would probably use N133. Good shooting...James

As always, test and load it with the best powder but 4198 was the powder of choice when the 222 was the king of accuracy. Try some 322 as it might like that as well.

As always, test and load it with the best powder but 4198 was the powder of choice when the 222 was the king of accuracy. Try some 322 as it might like that as well.

+ 1.....BLC-2 is another good choice .

Mort

Quite a few powders and bullets can produce exceptional accuracy in the .222. Some good powders have already been mentioned here, but I've had fine results with Reloder 7 and H4895 also. You might look at Ken Waters PET LOADS book. Information is dated, but there are still many loads for which the powder and bullets are still available.

Barts 52g over N133 powder is the best load I found for my 222 so far.

The target is 5 shot groups @ 100 yds

Attachments

• 4E15E431-788F-4DED-A0F8-011AD96F9C92.jpeg
    4E15E431-788F-4DED-A0F8-011AD96F9C92.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 430
When I stared shooting, a couple of years ago, my favorite shooting load was a 52 or 51gr bullet with some 25grs of 748 Win powder and the bullet just touching the lands. In fact this was my starting load in my bench guns before I got the 22 PPC.

great conditions were good but with the hot dogs today only good for 30 th place billb

If I competed with today’s hotdogs I’d be happy with 30th place.

It was the first rifle I ever put together- Savage target action with a Shilen barrel screwed on with a big ol’ barrel nut.

No disrespect ment

if i competed with today’s hotdogs i’d be happy with 30th place.

It was the first rifle i ever put together- savage target action with a shilen barrel screwed on with a big ol’ barrel nut.

but that could last bill b

I have 2 222Rems, one is just a factory rifle but is by far my most accurate factory rifle. not completely stock has been bedded and trigger tweaked.
My other is a full on custom. I did quite a bit of load development for both of them, the most accurate powder in both of my rifles is N130.

In my custom rifle it shoots better than my 6ppc at 100 yards and is far less finiky, only reason I have never shot it in a match is that I would have to shoot unlimited with the railguns since it is 20 pounds and I don't think it would be competitive at 200 yards.

N130, Lapua brass and 205's. for bullets I tried several different match bullets but none bested the 50gr Blitzking

I have 2 222Rems, one is just a factory rifle but is by far my most accurate factory rifle. not completely stock has been bedded and trigger tweaked.
My other is a full on custom. I did quite a bit of load development for both of them, the most accurate powder in both of my rifles is N130.

In my custom rifle it shoots better than my 6ppc at 100 yards and is far less finiky, only reason I have never shot it in a match is that I would have to shoot unlimited with the railguns since it is 20 pounds and I don't think it would be competitive at 200 yards.

N130, Lapua brass and 205's. for bullets I tried several different match bullets but none bested the 50gr Blitzking

I had a Rem. 722 .222 that would shoot 1/2 " groups at 100 yds. You could hit a lizard on a hot rock at that range.....no b.s. The only mods were glass and trigger adjustment.

I still have the rifle. I bought it at a gun show around 1966 or 67 used.

I have no idea how many rounds have been down the barrel since then but it is time for a new one. If I could replace it with a factory barrel as good as the original I would do it. What are the chances of that?

Mort

I had a Rem. 722 .222 that would shoot 1/2 " groups at 100 yds. You could hit a lizard on a hot rock at that range.....no b.s. The only mods were glass and trigger adjustment.

I have no idea how many rounds have been down the barrel since then but it is time for a new one. If I could replace it with a factory barrel as good as the original I would do it. What are the chances of that?

Mort

Buy

Mort

a proper contour match grade barrel and have that fitted? a little more $ but polly will shoot even better?

Back