221 Fireball

R

R peoble

Any one shoot a 221 fireball? Need to Know where to start with Bullet choice- custom-weight? Powder choice-- Manufacture-- Weight(grains)? Primer choice? Seems remington is the only choice for cases other than forming from 222 or 223 Brass. Any help!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
Richard:

Any one shoot a 221 fireball? Need to Know where to start with Bullet choice- custom-weight? Powder choice-- Manufacture-- Weight(grains)? Primer choice? Seems remington is the only choice for cases other than forming from 222 or 223 Brass. Any help!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
Richard:

I use fed 205 primers,17 grains of n-120 and a 52 grain br bullet.
1680 and 4198 are very good,h-4198 at 17 grains is a good br load.
I use Lapua .222 cases by just running them through a .221 fireball sizing die,trim to length,check neck thickness,you may have to turn a small amount .

I haven't shot mine too much but it shoots well with 40gr soft point sierras and blitz kings in front of 2015br. hardly any recoil like the 52's have. is it in a factory XP?

No Dusty My Fireball is a new Rem.22in.stainless 700 The only XP i own is a factory 7BR.Its still amazing how many people are attracted to a bolt act Pistol.

221 Fireball loads

You didn't say how you were going to use your rifle and load but here are my suggestions. I use my rifle primarily while calling predators. My shots are not extreme, 200 yds max, usually inside 100 yds. My concerns were accuracy, hide damage, and a load that was relatively quiet. For these reasons I decided to go with a 40 gr. bullet with a target velocity of ~3200 fps. I finally settled on a 40 gr. Vmax, 15.5 grs. 4227 with a CCI BR4 primer.
I think you will find 4227 to be the best powder for the Fireball although you can get some incredible velocities using Lil'Gun. Like I said first, it depends on your use for the rifle and load.

221 fireball

Thanks for your load info. Gun has to be accurate paper punching or Varmit Dispursing other wise its just another hunk of metal. Ha Ha!!!!!!

You didn't say how you were going to use your rifle and load but here are my suggestions. I use my rifle primarily while calling predators. My shots are not extreme, 200 yds max, usually inside 100 yds. My concerns were accuracy, hide damage, and a load that was relatively quiet. For these reasons I decided to go with a 40 gr. bullet with a target velocity of ~3200 fps. I finally settled on a 40 gr. Vmax, 15.5 grs. 4227 with a CCI BR4 primer.
I think you will find 4227 to be the best powder for the Fireball although you can get some incredible velocities using Lil'Gun. Like I said first, it depends on your use for the rifle and load.

Really,4227 and lil gun are good in a .410 shotgun shell load for skeet,but a tad too fast in the fireball.
The fireball will shoot powders that are used in the .222
Recoil,never heard of recoil in a .221 FB unless it;s in the old xp-100 pistol.,
I chambered a .221 in a hart barrel using a shilen DGA action,jewell trigger and mcmillan stock,glued in.
six groups using 17 grains of n-120 and a 52 grain Zia bullet ,all groups were in the one's at 100 yards,in fact the agg was .1791,conditions were clam and about 80 deg.
I also shot groups just as small using h-4198 short cut using the zia bullet.
got to remember,the .221 FB is almost the .222 and will do about 3050 fps with a 52 grain bullet,good for 250 yards.

Really,4227 and lil gun are good in a .410 shotgun shell load for skeet...

That may be the case, I don't know, I don't load for the .410. I do know that neither of these powders is too fast for the Fireball with a 40 gr. Vmax in a 22" sporter. Every coyote I've shot has been anchored with this load.

Here is a good article by Charles Petty regarding his load work up for the Fireball. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_5_49/ai_99145175/pg_1

Another from Guns & Ammo
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/0505/

I use lilgun in my fireball and my hornet,I use 15grns with a 50 vmax 3200fps and 16grns with a 40vmax 3600fps and cci br primers it shoots great with either one less than half inch and 1/4 inch on nice days,It's one of the best powders you can use in the fireball or hornet.I use rel-7 also 20grains with a 40 vmax 3500fps.In the hornet I use 13.2 gains with a 40 vmax 3000fps it's the best powder I ever used in the hornet the pressure is half of the powders I used to use and case life is unbelievable they don't stretch, with other powders I use to trim the cases everytime I shot them just about but with lilgun i'm on about the 6th loading.

Give the 35gr Hornady Vmax a try ! They work great in my Contender Carbine that started as a Hornet, and rechambered to 221.
I loaded this at the low end with Lil gun, and 6 1/2 Rem. primers.
Good luck !
Jim

Back