.220 Swift Powder...

Murphy

How much Varget are you using in your accuracy load,would like to give it a try. Murphy.:D

My load that has been working well is 36 grs Varget, 52 gr Nosler Custom Competitions, Federal Match primer, and seated to 2.338 at the ogive, tip to tip length is 2.681. brass is RP that I have weight sorted, length sorted and then preped. Brass length after 1 firing is 2.197, then neck sized only.

Good Luck and Good shooting

....has onyone tried VV N140 in the swift?? I notice it is close to RL15 which some consider a great powder. I have to deal with temp variations & have always been a fan of the Vit powders. I hear RL15 is best for temp fluxuations. It could be 60 in the AM & 100 by noon where I shoot.

Not looking for loads....I can work that out myself once the swift is bedded and ready to play with. I'm just interested if anyone has played with 140 or not.

thanks!!

pf
N160 and nosler 50g btails gave exellent results with my remmington 700 swift.

Did you get any velocities....

N160 and nosler 50g btails gave exellent results with my remmington 700 swift.

...I'm going to get my vssf bedded and start shooting here in the next couple of weeks.

That seems like a slow powder for 50's to me but I'll try. Starting of w/ the N140 & RL15.

pf

I never had temp problems with the AA2700......

and I shot in some very hot days. One thing however, I did not let my ammo sit out in the sun and get hot, nor did I load the very max load that the brass would take.

Good luck!

I use rl-15 in the swift and 22-250 and it worked great got the highest velocity with the least pressure.One time I tried 4064 and it shot good so I loaded a box and took it with me chuck hunting along with my regular rl-15 loads and the first one i fired i got gas in my face and a pierced primer,well it was hot that day but those shells were in the same kind of boxes and it didn't effect the rl-15.

One more vote for Varget. I use it in my .22-250's. I have never seen the fireball that others have noted. :confused: :)

Swift Loads

I have shot out three brls on rem 700 . I have used all powders except Norma and Vitivori.... Here is what I found.. All Swifts shoot best when loaded to Max +. seated slightly off lands.. In order RL15, 4064, and the old benchrest load for the Swift 3031. I have found that most shoot Nolser 50--- 55 gr BT very well ... I live in KS have a farm and shoot a swift a lot.... This may be recorded for training purposes...

Mine was by far its best using IMR 3031 (I shot about 37.0 iirc) and that seems in line with what others have done. Mine was quite finicky and there was nothing else that shot well in it.

then went to AA2700. I had two Savages 112 J's and two Ruger 77V's.

43.5-44.5g of AA2700 with a 50g Nosler; Fed 210 primer; Win case; will dump the bullet into a very tiny hole at 4000 fps. Many, many times I have head shot squirrels at 200 yards with this load as they laid in a hole with their head barely showing.

AA2700 is much easier on the throat than IMR 4064...we are talking night and day.

I used the Swifts to shoot ground squirrels and Rock chucks.

If you are shooting IMR 4064 in your Swift, you owe it to yourself and your rifle to try a lb of AA2700, this seems to be one of those loads that shoots in a lot of rifles.

Good luck!

Saw this post has been updated recently, and used this quote for a reason.
Since my last installment on this, My Cooper in the Swift has had to be rebarrelled, and my powder of choice has changed.

H-380 is no longer in the mix, great powder, 52SMK @ 4050 fps, max load, and CCI BR primer took out the barrell. I guess speed does kill.
My primary powder now is AA2700, it meters extremely well, and gives me very low E.S, and S.Ds. Velocity is likewise very good, although I do tend to download it more than I used too. This is another good reason for the 2700.
By adding 2" to the barrell (26) I am now getting aprox. 150 to 200 fps higher per charge than I was with the 24. AA2700 accomadates this very well, burns cleaner than varget or 380, and gives excellent accuracy from charges of 1 gr under starting, to max.
It works well with 50BK, 52MK, and 55 BK, Nosler BTs and their Custom Comps. Noticed no change in pressure or velocity swings in temps from 15 F to 90 F. Just a good all around powder. Also my throat seems to be holding up alot better too.
RL 15 is showing promise, but I have seen wild velocity spikes with this powder, also the S.Ds are on the high side so far. Still using Norma and RP brass and CCI BR primers.
Both these powders work real well in my 22.250 too.

DR

220 swift

DR thanks for the update I am still shopping for a powder that will pick up the pace with my 1-8 twist swift shooting the 75G Amax bullets. Does anyone have any expirence with the AA2700 shooting the heavy bullets?.

40 grains of 4064 behind a Nosler 50 grain ballistic tip drives the bullet at over 4000 fps from my Winchester heavy barrel. When the coyote comes in and stops 200 yards out to check the scene from a "safe" distance, he has made a serious mistake. The Sierra 52 grain match bullets are excellent for paper, but the Swift will put them right through a coyote. Nice to see a thread on the mighty but misunderstood Swift.

I have shot a swift for years. My load is 44.5 AA 2700 with 50 bt moly fed 210. I shoot a 27 inch bar. Load shoots 4100 and have a lot of round trough it. Still looks great with the bor scope. This is a top load. good luck.

220 swift powder

Enahs How many coyotes have you shot with the sierria 52g hpbt match bullets I have found that there are explosive on coyote, I have a picture of one I shot that you can almost put your fist inside without touching anything. If your Interested I will post it but it is very graphic.

Shot several of them with that bullet, but a couple of them "disappeared." Now, one can readily conclude that I missed. But I stopped using the Sierra 52's after an interesting incident. Shot a large coyote broadside at about 150 yards. I don't exaggerate when I say he went upside down a good two to three feet in the air — hit the ground, laid there a few moments, and then ran off (no blood and no fur). I discussed this with Sierra — whose match bullets I've used in other applications. Sierra told me quite confidently that the match 52's will go right through a coyote — allowing him to live long enough to get away. Once I switched to the coated Nosler 50's, either my aim has improved or the ballistic tip works as advertised. BTW, IIRC, the most recent PS magazine has an article on Swift related powders for large bullets.

I have to agree with the AA2700 guys, I got the best velocity in a sporter barreled Remington that I used to load for my brothers 220 SWIFT ACC-2700 42.5 GRNS CCI-250 WIN SIERRA 55.0 GRNS 3625 FPS WARM\HUNTING
220 SWIFT H-380 41.0 GRNS CCI-250 WIN SIERRA 55.0 GRNS 3580 FPS HUNTING LOAD
I probably could have gotten more out of either powder if I would have tried and it were my gun. AA2700 is like a forgotten powder.
Dave T

Yep, I do like the AA2700. It works real well in all the normal bullet weights. This last weekend I loaded up some 40gr sierras in my 223, but thought I would try them in my Swift just to see what they would do. Accuracy wasnt up to par (.6) but, 40gr Sierra, CCI BR primer 46 grs AA2700 (1 gr under max) gave me 4465 fps avg for 5 shots. Now I am not the one to do this for very long, but when you have a hot rod, sometimes ya just need to put your foot in it to blow out the cobwebs. I just might give it 5 of a max load next time to see if I can get a 4500 + avg.

DR

Varget in the 220 Swift.

Do most of my shooting at dusk or in twilight and have not experienced any excessive muzzle flash with varget. My 26"' barreled Ruger MK2 220 Swift just gives a dull red fire ball. My load is 36.5g of Varget and Remington 9 1/2 primer with Hornady 52g match projectile. This is the best load in my rifle and gives sub 1/2" grouping. To see a decent fire ball try a 300 Win mag. with a big charge of H4831. The ball is silver white and looks like a space rocket taking off!;)

STALL Ive Ben shooting 220 Swifts for years. I'm shooting a 220 swift AI now with a 9 inch twist. I'm using H1000 powder and 77gr AMAX. Works great. In a standard 220 swift Id try IMR 4831 for 75s for 55s I had better luck with IMR 4350 it and H414 have close to the same burn rate. That Hodgdon reloading booklet will list heavier bullets than the bullet manufacturer list. Good Luck Max

Back