.220 Swift Powder...

P

Paul Fielder

....has onyone tried VV N140 in the swift?? I notice it is close to RL15 which some consider a great powder. I have to deal with temp variations & have always been a fan of the Vit powders. I hear RL15 is best for temp fluxuations. It could be 60 in the AM & 100 by noon where I shoot.

Not looking for loads....I can work that out myself once the swift is bedded and ready to play with. I'm just interested if anyone has played with 140 or not.

thanks!!

pf

No, but I have used N540 with good results so N140 might do well also.

I was shooting 52 Gr Berger Match Moly and 52 Gr SMK Moly.

N140 does really well, however you will not get much speed. I shoot it with 55 gr blitz I think I am getting between 3490 and 3500 fps with it.

.223/.222

Over the years have used different powders for the .222 & .223 and get the best groups with AA2230 in these calibers using .52 grain match bullets and 55 grain soft points. But I do shoot hot loads in both bolt action and ar15s. craig:)

For the Swift

The best powders I have found are H380 for 40 grain bullets, Varget or 4064 for 50 grain bullets and H414 for 55 grain bullets.

Mike.

220 Swift

My Savage 112 BBSS-S likes 4064 with 52 Bergers. I have tried several powder/bullet combos and the 4064/Berger combo works best in my gun at around 3700 fps.

Thanks guys...

....I knew 4064 was and is the original stand by for the powder but I heard it can bite you if you run the upper limits and have some temp. spikes.

Most down this way are shooting RL15 for that reason. I'll be running hot w/ 52gr Zia's or the 53 Sierras.

Thanks for the replies.....looks like time on the range with the 35P and getting out of my laziness mode is what I'm gonna have to do.

pf

powder

My #1 v in 220 swift & my rebarreled mauser 220 SAI both dote on r-15 its the best Ive used hands down.

Swift powders

The best powders I have found are H380 for 40 grain bullets, Varget or 4064 for 50 grain bullets and H414 for 55 grain bullets.

Mike.

I agree with you on this, H380 will give you excellent velocity, but a larger charge than Varget. Varget gives me excellent velocity, great accuracy, and easy clean up. Havent tried 4064, but both H380 and Varget work fantastic. My standard is Varget, Federal Match primer and Nosler Custom 52 gr match, shoots in the 2s and 3s for 10 shots, have done better when I do my part.

Varget in the Swift

I agree with you on this, H380 will give you excellent velocity, but a larger charge than Varget. Varget gives me excellent velocity, great accuracy, and easy clean up. Havent tried 4064, but both H380 and Varget work fantastic. My standard is Varget, Federal Match primer and Nosler Custom 52 gr match, shoots in the 2s and 3s for 10 shots, have done better when I do my part.

I tried Varget with 52 Gr SMKs and it gave decent accuracy and a super impressive fireball about 6-8 ft out from the muzzle. I have a picture of it somewhere. It engulfed my chronograph.

I went back to some less flashy powders after the novelty wore off :eek:

I tried 4064.....

then went to AA2700. I had two Savages 112 J's and two Ruger 77V's.

43.5-44.5g of AA2700 with a 50g Nosler; Fed 210 primer; Win case; will dump the bullet into a very tiny hole at 4000 fps. Many, many times I have head shot squirrels at 200 yards with this load as they laid in a hole with their head barely showing.

AA2700 is much easier on the throat than IMR 4064...we are talking night and day.

I used the Swifts to shoot ground squirrels and Rock chucks.

If you are shooting IMR 4064 in your Swift, you owe it to yourself and your rifle to try a lb of AA2700, this seems to be one of those loads that shoots in a lot of rifles.

Good luck!

I tried Varget with 52 Gr SMKs and it gave decent accuracy and a super impressive fireball about 6-8 ft out from the muzzle. I have a picture of it somewhere. It engulfed my chronograph.

I went back to some less flashy powders after the novelty wore off :eek:

JD I have had the same happen with lighter loads of varget in the swift, usually in the 31 to 32 grain area. Havent burnt my chrony with it yet but sure did give some people a few smiles and laughs. Now i only use a charge a 1/2 gr from max. Its a good powder for plinking, but serious work goes to the H380. I just attributed it to a diffrent primer I used LMAO. Thanks

I tried 4064

Thanks for your comment, I will give the 2700 a try as I am consistantly looking for better accuracy.

If your using 55gr bullets try VV N-550, it works!!

Tom

I have to agree on this one. I used both N150 and N550 successfully in the 220Swift with 50 gran bullets. The N550 preferred WLRM primers.

Ed

I have used H380, H414, and Varget but my best load is with IMR 4064 and a 53 Gr bullet. Some time this comming summer I m going try IMR 4007 SSC powder with 50 and 53 Gr bullets in my 220 Swift. Some of the powder you all listed is not available in the area I live.

swift

H414 works okay for me However I am looking for a powder to use with my fast twist swift. I have one that is a 1-8 twist and I am shooting 75g amax bullets The velocity was 2900 fps using 38G of XMR3100. This load is grouping okay its just about 300 fps slower that what I am looking for. I am looking for something a little bit faster any suggestions would Help?.

Attachments

• 220 swift rifle 018.jpg
    220 swift rifle 018.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 545
To DR4NRA

How much Varget are you using in your accuracy load,would like to give it a try. Murphy.:D

Back