220 russion cases

what is the difference between the 1985 220 case and the 2020 lapua case.i have the old but am buying 100 of the lapua cases for my new to me lv rifle.i am just interested in this and am not useing the older cases.
gary b

Lapua did not make 220 Russian brass till 1992 the first year it was manufactured by Lapua. The original Lapua brass made in 1992 was 100 times superior to the brass they currently make today. Sako made the original 220 Russian back in the 1960's for the Russian Olympic team, hence the name 220 Russian and what Lou Palmisano brought to USA in 1972 or 1973 was the original brass manufactured in the 60's for the Russians and up to 1985 the Sako brass was same brass manufactured in the 60's. Today's Lapua brass is good but no way near the quality of the 1992 Lapua brass.

Jim

To answer your question, the OLD brass had a bit if a dome inside the primer pocket and it used a .062 flash hole, a honest .062. I have sectioned the old brass from the new and the new Lapua does not have the nickel content the old Lapua had, and the flash hole could be anywhere from .060 to .070, correct me if I am wrong. Glad to see you back Jim. It would hold a 1/2 to 1 gr of powder more, now I am talking Lapua compared to the old stuff.

The SAKO brass also featured the [so called] balloon-head, where the solid head was scarcely deeper than the primer-pocket! I sure wouldn't try duplicating contemporary loads with that stuff! :eek: RG

i do not think that is the definition of balloon head.
simple folding over to add thickness is a balloon head.

The SAKO brass also featured the [so called] balloon-head, where the solid head was scarcely deeper than the primer-pocket! I sure wouldn't try duplicating contemporary loads with that stuff! :eek: RG

Everyone called the old Sako brass balloon headed, but it really wasn't. They had shallow relief areas at the sidewall edge. Quasi-balloon headed may be a more apt description:

As Randy noted, the original Sako wouldn't take the pressure like Lapua or Norma hulls.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

It is "HOT" here, I mean it got up to almost 90 here, the air has been on for this week and it looks like next week too. I have the air set at 76 and it has been on for days, OH WELL, that is Canada, -20 and plus 90 the next day. And in Univic or Greenland it has been 40 and even 50, DUH what is this World coming to?

lol
110 plus in phx metro az

It is "HOT" here, I mean it got up to almost 90 here, the air has been on for this week and it looks like next week too. I have the air set at 76 and it has been on for days, OH WELL, that is Canada, -20 and plus 90 the next day. And in Univic or Greenland it has been 40 and even 50, DUH what is this World coming to?

Talking about "way back when ..."

Do you remember Tom Jensen's "6mm Classic" ?

That was at the time we had a complete 220 Russian shortage, no PPC on the market and that gentleman built a business to draw 6 PPC cases. The brass was stamped "6 mm Classic". I suppose "PPC" was somekind registred.

Still have some.

It was Dave Jensen, he was a buddy of mine, and the 6mm Classic was drawn off a 30-30 case, but also a PPC case. I could give you more but that is history.

Talking about "way back when ..."

Do you remember Tom Jensen's "6mm Classic" ?

That was at the time we had a complete 220 Russian shortage, no PPC on the market and that gentleman built a business to draw 6 PPC cases. The brass was stamped "6 mm Classic". I suppose "PPC" was somekind registred.

Still have some.

Do you need more?

Butch,

No thanks, I do not need any Classic brass. Furthermore I put the PPC on hold at the moment.

The batch I purchased had a lot of variations (would I say horrible, but well, I was glad to have SOME brass at that time), so I mused with weight and head thickness , and that appeared to be a very interesting moment.

Butch,

No thanks, I do not need any Classic brass. Furthermore I put the PPC on hold at the moment.

The batch I purchased had a lot of variations (would I say horrible, but well, I was glad to have SOME brass at that time), so I mused with weight and head thickness , and that appeared to be a very interesting moment.

These were in a pickup load of brass that I bought from Bonnie Cornelison after Red passed away.

butch,

no thanks, i do not need any classic brass. Furthermore i put the ppc on hold at the moment.

The batch i purchased had a lot of variations (would i say horrible, but well, i was glad to have some brass at that time), so i mused with weight and head thickness , and that appeared to be a very interesting moment.
i justwas weighting some old 220 russinit varied asmutchas 104 to109 gr. I dont where i gpot it how will it shoot.

Back