22 hornet

N

Night Crawler

I need help with a 77/22 hornet i cant get this gun to shoot better than 2.5". The throat is long so I have had to seat all bullets to the magazine length except for one bullet and i tried that bullet from touching the lands to .020 off the land in .005 increments with no better results than the ones that were seated to feed through the magazine. I have IMR 4227 and have used from 11 to 12 gr. Most of the bullets were from 35 to 45 gr. and I tried a 50 gr speer soft point and that didnt shoot any better. Also some one told me to trim the brass .010 shorter than trim to lenght and that might help does anyone know why this might work i havent tried it yet but Im going to.

I have owned Hornets for years and years and have found them to be VERY temperamental.

That is until I found Lil' Gun powder. This powder seems to be made for Hornets and they now shoot lights out with it. I am using 13 grains with a 40 gr Hornady A-Max in my Anschutz and it shoots well under 1" at 100 yards. I think you will love this powder for your Hornet.

I also have noted that Hornets tend to have slow twist barrels and do not like heavy bullets. I would star under 45 grains.

As always, work you loads up slowly and watch for pressure signs.

George

Night Crawler ? You fishin' devil, you.
I've had a couple of hornets, a T/C contender carbine and an NEF handy rifle { boy,the extractor on that handy rifle would launch cases a mile} both were 1" guns with your recipe( actually I think it's Lymans recipe)of 4227. I remember loading up the cases and tapping the brass on the bench to settle the powder in to get enough room to seat the bullet. If I remember correctly I shot a nosler 45 gr roundnose that was designed for the Hornet,It's been a while. Anyway, 2.5" is 2.5" and if seating depth changes don't improve anything I doubt if a different powder will. I would be looking for mechanical gremlins( bedding,barrel contact in the forend,scope rings,screws,scopes,triggers, etc)to get the rifle around an inch. Then fine tune the load. I would suspect something other than the load.
Joel

I have one of those Hornets. Same size grouping. Re-cut the crown. And the size of the groups went down. Also, since I have a wood stock. Relieved the area around the barrel and that made a difference. The wood kept moving... A bit like a snake. Groups went down to 1" average.

So my story gets a little longer. I pulled the barrel. Put a Remington barrel on it, that says .22-250 Rem. I just chambered it for the .22 Johnson -Spitfire. .30 Carbine necked down. Haven't reworked the Magazine, as of yet. But I get 1/2 to 3/4" groups, with an old 1976 used barrel.

I think the Hornet case is so small the primer starts the bullet.

Don't think you can really fix it.

al

I had one of those critters. I found it shot better off of a bipod than bags, helped keep the forend from twisting in the bags. The bullet I found that shot the best was the Hornady 46gr Bee bullet, it kinda looks like a wadcutter with a hollowpoint but for some reason it shot very well. See if you can find someone with H4227 it worked better for me, BUT every rifle is different

22Hornet

I've played with a few Hornets and they can be made to shoot fairly well. It is good to remember that we are dealing with an antique which was not born with the advantage of being inherently accurate, like a .222 Rem. or a 30 BR.

First rule out mechanical problems such as barrel internal defects, bedding,dragging firing pin or week spring, damaged crown,and etc.

Then work up a load by changing only one thing at a time. The case volume is so small that the cartridge is so terribly load sensitive.....a good load could be ruined with a too hot primer. Be patient as you can shoot many rounds without fear of barrel burning. Use quality bullets which match your twist rate. Berger 40 gr is good to start with. Seating depth is important too. Some want to be jammed and some want a jump. Just have to shoot and see.

Look at M.L.McPherson's Sept.2010 Article in "Precision Shooting." He found that a new powder works wonders with the Hornet....Alliant Power Pro 300-MP.

I've shot a bunch of it now in a couple of Hornets and am impressed with it's accuracy and increased velocities, all without pressure signs. The stuff is magic dust with the Hornet.

As always, start out low and work up carefully.

Good Shooting!

Joe Jarrell

The 77/22 is a beautiful looking little gun that will make you cry trying to get it to shoot straight.There is a story about it in Varmint Hunter magazine describing all the well known problems.
I would start there.
Waterboy

Try this:

Lee Factory crimp die - just a light crimp
CCI Pistol primers
Lil Gun powder
40 grain Sierra / Nosler / Hornady varmint bullet.

After fireforming, use Redding neck dies.

I've had excellent luck with a Hornet and the Nosler .224" Hornet bullets. I use WW 680 and AA 1680 powders.

Best check that thing out on Varmint Al. I've never had a Ruger Hornet.

Dick Wright

Back