22 Hornet scope?

G

Gary O

I have a new Browning Low Wall in 22 Hornet that I wish to scope for ground squirrel hunting. What is the practical magnification range I should be looking at? Thanks...

My recommendation, for what it's worth, would be a Unertl 1 1/4 inch varmint of about 12X.

Would give you a classic interwar era varmint rifle.

I'm working on such a rig, except a CZ 527 Hornet.

It may not be any better than what I have now, but everyone at the range will stop to look at it.

Good luck.

Jim

On my single shot hornet I used a 6 power Unertl gallery scope. To me, they really make a single shot look correct. A 1 1/4 Unertl is a nice scope, but there is no lock ring on the objective when you set parallax. This can give trouble if there is wear in the threads.

Would Leupold low rings work with a 40mm objective? Thanks...

B. Johnson:

My 1 1/4 Unertl does indeed have a lock ring on the objective.

Maybe a later upgrade, or maybe a feature dropped in later production instruments.

There is something about a rifle with a Unertl up. Maybe their day is past, but I like them.

Jim

My Unertl looks great on my Kimber 82G. I just have to remember to shoot it more often. The scope is under the bed. The guns in a closet. I have to remember to set the scope out or perhaps I should move it into the closet.

Mine has lock ring and was rebuilt by Parsons about 3 yrs ago. I have only used it about 5x since then.

Back