22-100 reamer print

Bro.D

I am getting interested in the 22 ppc 100 short. For those of you in the know could you bless me with a reamer print that has proven itself. Also, could I ask a few questions...
* With todays Lapua brass what is the typical neck diam of your chamber? Right now I shoot a 6ppc with a .269 nk. What is comperable in the 22?
* How much neck tention do you typically use?
* What is the go-to powder?
* With the go-to powder what is a good starting load?
* As I am just starting out, will Harrell's have a FL die that will be close enough to get me started sizing my brass?
* I assume that a 1-14t will be best with the 52gr. bullets???
I guess that will get me started. Any info will be appreciated. Bro.D

For the last few years my gunsmith and I have experimented with the WalDog. The WalDog is a 125 Short PPC. These are very accurate. We shoot with N-133, N-130, H4198 and RE-7 Powders. The Berger or custom made 52 gr flat base bullets work the best.

The best group shooting rifle we have had on our range was an older Panda with a 22 WalDog barrel.

Our chambers have been cut for a 0.239 Neck. If I were to order a new reamer I think I would go to a little thicker neck.

We are on our second WalDog reamer. We have only cut two barrels with this reamer. This new reamer cuts a chamber with a much longer neck than the standard 100 PPC or WalDog. We made the neck long like a 222 neck in hopes that it would improve barrel life.

When we made the two new barrels we started with Shilen LV contour 1-14 twist barrels and finished them both to be 27" long. Since then we have been cutting #1 barrel back. It is now only 22" long. As expected the longer the barrel the more difficult they are to shoot.

The 27" barrel does hit some higher velocities. The 30 gr moly coated Berger did right at 4,000 fps. The 55 V Max did 3,500 over 26 grs of N-133.

With the 22" barrel you can get all the velocity you need with the 52 gr match bullets for competition shooting.

Harrels made a die for the Waldog and it works perfect. Just need to send them 3 fired cases.

Last edited:
"Just need to send them 3 fired cases."

I have always heard that you need to fire your cases two or three times to get them to full chamber dimentions before you send them to a custom die maker. How do you get your cases sized after firings one and two if this is a completely new build? what do you guys do so that you can fire them a second or third time to make sure they are all the completely blown out?

You are correct with the three firings. Use a stiff load with the bullets jammed. For resizing before getting your Harrels you will need to neck size with a shortened 22 PPC die. Another option that might work is getting some fired cases from another rifle that was chambered with the same exact reamer. Verify with the smith that it was the same reamer and send those in to Harrels. Then you already have your Harrels die ready to use from the start.

If I were you, I'd get in touch with Dan Dowling, the creator of the 22 waldog. He will have some advice for you and maybe even a die or two lying around he'd sell you. He may even try to talk you out of a waldog. I shoot with Dan quite frequently and he's a good friend of mine. He does not shoot the waldog in competition anymore. It simply can't keep up with the 6ppc (especially at 200) day in and day out. But it is a cool cartridge nonetheless.

By the way, enjoy the complimentary reamer. I was .0002" away from winning it myself! Oh well, glad it went to someone who could use it.:)

Last edited:
goodgrouper - that is close. I remember being beat out of some second place wood one time by .ooo2 The 'what if's' were plentiful that night. I talked to a guy at Harrell's this afternoon and he gave me an easy fix. He said to use my arbor press and press a neck bushing down onto the once fired brass. Then use the press to pull the bushing off. He said the neck needed just enough tension to hold a bullet. Fire and then repeat. Why I didn't thinks of something similar I have no idea. Thanks Keith for the phone number. Bro.D

I bought a JGS Borden 22ppc reamer. Full size 22ppc reamer actually. Jim had this reamer made so a guy could use the reamer for full size 22ppc all the way down to .125 short and the back end would still be big enough not to cause any trouble when resizing. I have chambered two barrels with this reamer at .100 short and they both shot lights out. One shilen and one bartlein. I send my fired cases to harrels and they fixed me up!! Lee

Back