1911 Nut

dmort

I posted this story here sometime back on Benchrest. You might find it interesting.

Sometime in the mid to late sixties my racing buddy and I were at a gun show. He was looking for a 45 as I was looking for a Luger. He found his 45 enclosed in a wooden box with miscellaneous accessories for $125.00. You could get a surplus 45 real cheap at that time and folks weren't paying much.

My friend's purchase was interesting but didn't mean much at the time. Sometime later (10 years later) he calls me and wants to sell it for what he paid for it. He was going through a divorce and needed some cash. I wasn't looking for a 45 but I said sure.

When the 1911 arrived in the box I really got to go through it. The box is made of hardwood but not oak. The latch and hinges are all brass. Given what all the box contained the box itself was relatively small. Someone had spent time working this all out. The contents contained: a 1911 Government 45, leather holster, duty belt with first aid packet, surplus ammo dated 1923 (last year of the 1911), an Army Calvery Manual on how to shoot the 1911 from a horse with illustrations, last but not least an old can of Fiend Oil. The box had dividers in the bottom so everything in it has its place. Really well done.

In the eighties I was shooting trap on a regular basis and looking for the perfect trap gun. I wanted a Browning BT99. They weren't cheap and I found on like new in the box and we made a trade. My reasoning was the BT99 would see a lot of use while the 1911 hardly ever saw daylight. I thought I was being practical. Two years later I had the first of three neck surgeries and sold the Browning. No more trap shooting period. I have been sorry about the trade I made ever since.

Mort

Last edited:
dmort,

That 1911 must’ve been from WWI, sounds like quite a set. My problem is I’ve sold or traded very few of the firearms I acquired. I use to be a handgun guy, built, tuned and shot the heck out of several 1911s then S&W revolvers. Now the handguns are sitting lonely in a safe.

The last several years it’s been benchrest rifles, trying to get all the bullets in the same hole has become a sickness….

Thanks for the response. There was little or nothing when I posted it a few years back and I get it. When I saw your handle ,I thought there might be some interest.

Mort

I once was given

a 1911 by the widow of my cousin who had been an attorney before he passed. She didn't want in the house. He had promised a client he would toss it into the ocean. The one I had was made in 1917 and except for the rear sight having a big ding on it, the gun was pristine. I kept it a few years and needed a few bucks so put it on Gunbroker and sold it for $700. , which I thought was great at the time. I've regretted selling it many times. The lad who bought it thanked me for selling it to him after he received it. Grrrrr. I knew then I had left too much money on the table.

Pete

a 1911 by the widow of my cousin who had been an attorney before he passed. She didn't want in the house. He had promised a client he would toss it into the ocean. The one I had was made in 1917 and except for the rear sight having a big ding on it, the gun was pristine. I kept it a few years and needed a few bucks so put it on Gunbroker and sold it for $700. , which I thought was great at the time. I've regretted selling it many times. The lad who bought it thanked me for selling it to him after he received it. Grrrrr. I knew then I had left too much money on the table.

Pete

Did you ever shoot it?

Mort

I'm a recovering 1911 addict

Now that I got that out of the way. I had bought an original 1911, made in 1919, in 1999. Last year, as part of my treatment I chose 5 1911's to sell. One of those was the original. I had paid $700 for it in 1999 and sold it for $1400 in 2021. I might have been able to get a little more for it but I was satisfied. It wasn't anywhere close to excellent condition but all the parts were original.

1911 Calvery Manual

I referred to this earlier and found it on line. You might find it interesting. Find 1911 FORUM .COM

Mort

I think the early 1911's with the lanyard loop on the magazine are quite interesting. At that time our soldiers were on horseback.

Wish I could remember but I don't. There were several clips with the pistol, and one had the Colt logo. I do remember that.

Mort

Not sure if you found the pictures on 1911FORUM.You need to ask for U.S. Calvery uses M1911.

Last edited:
Back