.17hmr

cloud9
You have received good advice from top people. I would just like to add that at some point you will need to read the wind. It can start with simple ribbons on a stick but you will need something. The wind can be your friend. No matter if you are shooting 50 yds or 1000 yds accuracy will depend on how well you can read the wind.

cloud9,
Just bought a cz452 varmit in 22wmr. This gun is also made in 17hm2, 17hmr and 22lr. It's a real nice gun, well made,
and with a heavy barrel. I think you would want the heavy barrel shooting off a bench and it makes a nice carry varmit gun.
Best price that I found is at Bud's Gun shop. @:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36s
John

You might also take a look at the CZ453. It has a single set trigger and will shoot little tiny groups. I think .22LR has a lot to recommend it. It's the least expensive rimfire to shoot. There is nothing quite like a "lot" of shooting when it comes to skill development. You can Shoot a Hornet or .221 Fireball, or .223 for about the same price as the .17HMR or the .22WMR.

Fitch

What great suggestions. Thank you all so much. I knew I was in the right place.

Cloud9

I have a Savage .17 HMR. It has the bull barrel. I bedded the action, floated the barrel, put an after market sear in the trigger and topped it with a Sightron 4 - 12X scope. The rifle is extremely accurate and has killed many groundhogs. I looked at the Anschutz; beautiful rifle but out of my price range. The CZ is a nice compromise but you really don't need to spend that kind of money unless you want to. Do not overlook the Savage as you'll be pleasantly surprised.

definatly dont over look the savage. the first year i started shooting bench rest there was a 14 year old girl shooting with a savage vaminter in 17 hmr with a thumb hole stock. She posted some impressive scores, and gave my weatherby vanguard in 223 a run for its money. I switched to a savage model 12 in 332 to improve my own scores that year.

Back