125gr. BIB

J

jazzy

Has anyone tried these in a 30BR? If so how did they shoot? I have 2 boxes and was wondering if i should just sell them and buy some lighter ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should check with Randy on the jacket length. If they are on the 1.00 jacket, they should work fine in an 18-twist. It all depends on which jacket length was used.

http://www.bibullets.com/products/

As a curiosity, I still have some 127 BIBs made on the old Blackmon (steel) dies Randy used years ago. Believe those were on 1.080 jackets. My 30x44 loves them, but it is a 16-twist.

These are about 8 years old and were purchased for my 30x47. Lot # 9809.

Questions:

I read through Randy's specifications and wondered if the posted twist rates were the ideal on the slow twist side and if shorter bullets work ok in faster twist barrels? I have shot 100 grain 30 cal bullets made on those jackets shorter, by quite a bit, than 1" in 1-14 twist barrel in the past and as I recall, they shot fine. Is the potential stability problem on the slow twist rate side and is shooting short bullets in a fast twist rate barrel detrimental to the accuracy and integrity of bullets?

I would like to try them if you decide you dont want them. We have a score game we play locally and we shoot out to 300 yards. I think these sound perfect for that purpose. I have noticed that my 112gr bib bullets will move around quite a bit if there is much of a wind at 300 yards. Maybe i am wrong but it seems to me that FB bullets are a bit more acceptable to wind drift and BT bullets seem to have more vertical travel, or trouble??? Lee

Id probably do that. What to start with 100 each to see how they work out? Send me a pm and we will go from there. Thanks Lee

Has anyone tried these in a 30BR? If so how did they shoot? I have 2 boxes and was wondering if i should just sell them and buy some lighter ones.
The 125 - both 7 & 10 ogive BIB versions- are based on the 1.00" long J4 jacket and work quite well via any twist rate, up to 1:18":for these bullets, at sea level, STd. conditions, a 1:18" twist rate imparts about 1.46 Sg. Of course, faster twists will produce higher Sg and still shoot BR quality bullets well. Good shootin'! RG

125 Bib

Great Bullet Work Great in my 1-17 Its a wind eater

What are you guys using load wise for the 125's and what fps are you getting?
I have some 125's and just haven't tried them yet but I want to. Thanks

I have some 135 grain Sierra Match Kings that I am going to try in my 30BR/17 twist. Two shooters I know are using them and getting some unbelievable groups. They are getting a bit over 2800 fps and they do stabilize in a 17 twist barrel. I forgot what load they are using. We will see.....

Donald

Bib 118

I would be interested in 250 or less BIB in 112 to 125 if any one has some small quantities they would part with. 7 or 10 ogive, I am shooting a 30 major with a 1-18 twist and would like to try some but the wait is long.

I have some 135 grain Sierra Match Kings that I am going to try in my 30BR/17 twist. Two shooters I know are using them and getting some unbelievable groups. They are getting a bit over 2800 fps and they do stabilize in a 17 twist barrel. I forgot what load they are using. We will see.....

Donald

Donald If you ever find out what powder they're using give me a shout.
I find that interesting and I have some 135's anyway.

Donald If you ever find out what powder they're using give me a shout.
I find that interesting and I have some 135's anyway.

Below is a quote from an email he sent me. I have not tried this load in my rifle and suggest you work up to it. I am shooting 34.2/4198 in my 30BR with 115 Bergers the velocity averages right at 2996. Barrel is 17 twist. I also tried 36 grn Benchmark....velocity was less than 2800 fps with the 115's.

The bottom group in that pic is a load of H4198 31.7gr , 135MK's/.010 jump @ 2810fps ... Shot back to back tight ragged .400's at 200yds 2 weeks ago with this very load. The 110 and 115gr Bergers made off the .900 jacket will shoot with a tad less recoil.. I can shoot'em a bit faster than the 135's...

With the 30's.... The wind gets em just as bad as a 6mm, just that the cartridge stay's in tune and barrel fouling is just about non existence.

Honestly, I have NOT seen any weird/inconsistent, anything... From these Match Kings... They measure WELL..In weight and ogive length, right there with custom bullets. No bull...

Below is a quote from an email he sent me. I have not tried this load in my rifle and suggest you work up to it. I am shooting 34.2/4198 in my 30BR with 115 Bergers the velocity averages right at 2996. Barrel is 17 twist. I also tried 36 grn Benchmark....velocity was less than 2800 fps with the 115's.

The bottom group in that pic is a load of H4198 31.7gr , 135MK's/.010 jump @ 2810fps ... Shot back to back tight ragged .400's at 200yds 2 weeks ago with this very load. The 110 and 115gr Bergers made off the .900 jacket will shoot with a tad less recoil.. I can shoot'em a bit faster than the 135's...

With the 30's.... The wind gets em just as bad as a 6mm, just that the cartridge stay's in tune and barrel fouling is just about non existence.

Honestly, I have NOT seen any weird/inconsistent, anything... From these Match Kings... They measure WELL..In weight and ogive length, right there with custom bullets. No bull...

Hey Donald,
Would these guys be a couple OKC area shooters be named Cale and Dave by any chance?

He he he

Back