100yd bbl?

750k2

Is there a preferred twist - bore configuration for shooting @ 100 yds+?
I would think it would boil down to what twist handle wind better?

750k2 ,

That is a real good question. One that i will be really interested in hearing the answer to, but i am afraid that this is not the right forum for it. We'll just wait and see. CS

I shot in a 200 Yd RF event several months ago and used a friend's 37 Remington. It shot darn good @ 200 yds and he has shot well at 100 with it in the past also. I don't know what twist rate the 37's are. Perhaps he will chime in.

Last edited:
We have no organized 50yd here so my buds and I shoot informal at 100.
50 was just to boring and 100 seemed to limit equipment advantages.
need a new bbl and was thinking about # grooves and spin drift.
rpm would also enter in.

Probably not a technical answer, but anecdotal experience:
A few years ago, Lilja accidentally made a run of barrels that were 18.5 to 19 twist. They had a new button made for 17 twist but it actually produced the slower twist. Lilja voluntarily replaced them for all that requested.
That happened to coincide with the one year that IR 50/50 held 100 yard matches. That was the best 100 yard barrel I ever owned . At 100 yards it easily outshot the 16 and 17 twist Lilja barrels I had on my other rifles.If the 100 yard competition had not been cancelled, I would not have replaced the barrel. It was not a particularly good 50 yard barrel though.
Perhaps some of you that own the 19 twist Suhl barrels could test them at 100 and give us a report.
Don

I do know that tuner settings do need to be changed from 50yd.
And it is a big change.
I'll try to pimp the prone guys they run at 100.
We shoot 10rds at the 200yd Hunter BR target.
Cards are quicker and ammo goes further.

Don,
It sure seems strange that a slower twist would work better at longer ranges. In any other lead bullet shooting, longer distances require the same or faster twists relative to short range.

I like 16 twist for 200 yds. But I have not been able to experiment with quality slower twists.

Brent
It did not seem strange to me because I am a long time round ball black powder shooter. The little 22 rimfire projectile performs more like a round ball than the long slugs used in cast bullet center fire. 48 twist works great in 50 cal at 50 yards in round ball but 72 twist works better at 100.
Don

Man Don, you sure are dating yourself with that IR 50/50 @ 100Y reference, and don't we remember it well. What was that, around 1997 or 8?

Dave

Don, I have never seen a 48 twist roundball rifle do any better than "acceptable" at short ranges. And then only in hunting terms, not as a target rifle. But if long twist works for you at long range .22, I can't argue. Just doesn't match up well with anything I've seen, heard or learned before.

Brent
Sounds like you have never had a good custom round ball barrel. TC hurt the reputation of the 48 twist with their shallow groove barrels . People tried them with round ball and they were terrible. Too bad they didn't advertise they were for the elongated TC maxi ball.
Don

If that is what they were for, they sure didn't get the job done. I did much better with mine using roundballs, but they were not great.

Still don't see how a .22 is more like a patched roundball than a bpcr bullet.

Back