100 Meter Indoor Air Rifle Competition - 27 August - South Africa

Sighters

We are having an indoor air rifle competition on the 27th of August to determine who is capable of the smallest 10 shot group. Entries were limited to 32 shooters as only two shooters can participate at a time. Total value of the prizes are in the region of $2500. The only rule is that it must be an air rifle and cannot be tethered to a bottle.

You can follow this event on www.airrifle.co.za - go to "General Airgun Discussions" and look for "BIGGEST 100m EVENT OF THE YEAR". Lots of banter going on but with one week to go it is starting to get serious.

Feel free to register and contribute.

Lots of Rapids will be participating as well as the first USFT rifle straight from the Worlds.

Regards,

Gert van Wyk

Good luck, and I wish I could be there. Looking forward to reading the results. I've gotta say though, you are very brave to set something of this size up with only having 2 benches to shoot from!

Dave Shattuck

Thanks for posting the 100 meter shoot info.

Gert,
Have you tried the .20 single shot sliding tray I gave you at the Worlds?
I am still at my Summer home and don't have the contact info where I bought them.
Good luck at the shoot and nice meeting you.

Paul Bendix

Paul,
I am very keen to start using it but needs to set my barrel back a bit and I dont want to fiddle with the rifle till after the 27th. All I did was set it up to 900 fps. Will let you know how it works.

Regarding the comp we are planning to have 10 minutes setup per pair of shooters and 20 minutes to complete 2 targets with 10 shots each. We will be using rotating backers to determine how many shots were fired into the targets.

Seems that we have two schools of thought regarding the rifle which will be best suited for this type of shooting. Some are setting up .22s to go at 28fpe or higher and then the rest with .20s which are set to about 25 fpe. From what we understand Niekie with his USFT is shooting superb groups at 100 meters and told me he has a problem to participate in the event as he thinks he has an unfair advantage!!! We will see.

Hi

How are you all ? I hope all went well after the Worlds . Wish I could be there to shoot with you but a little out of my way . Have Fun Rick

Holy Batman that sounds like a real challenge, it will be interesting to see how it goes and what size the groups are not sure if my EV2 even shoots that far :)

Holy Batman that sounds like a real challenge, it will be interesting to see how it goes and what size the groups are not sure if my EV2 even shoots that far :)

Many of us have been practicing at the indoor range. Must say that it's not easy to make a pellet travel 100 meters and make it go where you want. Typical 10 groupings that we see are in the region of 20mm to 35 and even 60 mm. It is different though to shoot for 2 hours and then pick your best grouping. The way the comp is set up we shooters will have 20 minutes to do 2 groupings of 10 shots each. This time will include the sighters which are of little value.

With my MFR cold out of the rifle case I can do 10 shots with a spread of 1 fps but what happens after the darn pellet leaves the barrel is anybody's guess. Even a small undetectable infraction in the pellet will influence the path on the way to the target and cause a drop of 2-3 inches.

Here are all the results from our Indoor Challenge.

100 Airrifle Indoor Challenge 27-Aug-11

1 Paul Van Gass Ammion 26,89 Theoben .20 25fpe
2 Ruth Penman Claddagh 30,34 Theoben .22
3 Niekie van Dyk 33,14 USFT .22
4 Tiaan Broodryk Voodoo 34,73 Theoben .22
5 Albert Fourie Wannebe 35,43 Theoben .22
6 Linda Bekker LinB 37,16 Daystate GP .177
7 St John Salisbury Blizzard 37,46 Theoben .22
8 Sean Orsmond Bludlust 37,69 Theoben .22
9 John Wood 38,33 Steyr
10 Hendre v Dyk 39,22 USFT .22
11 Cuan Robinson Yeti 41,15 Theoben .22
12 James Mitchell Micejc 41,83 Theoben .20
13 Gert Van Wyk Sighter 45,30 Theoben .20
14 Derek vd Merwe Dvdm 50,65 Daystate GP .177
15 David Muburgh 51,45 Theoben
16 lloyd Wyman lloyd 53,09 Daystate
17 Martin Botha Tromps 57,23 Weihrauch WH100
18 Rudi Cronje 57,33 Edgun
19 Ian Haggerty Comodor 59,68
20 Eugene Du Plessis 60,40 Steyr .20
21 Vincent Dadds MZE 62,05 Theoben
22 Albert Michell 62,23 Theoben .20
23 Willie Visser WJVisser 68,53 Theoben
24 Donovan Simes 69,55 Theoben
25 Kevin Strauss Airvolution 70,82 Airvolution
26 Ian de Jong Ian 71,50 Custom Blizzard
27 Siebert Noeth Siebert 75,77 Theoben
28 Anton Muller JG Walrus 111,21 FX

We have also shot 50 meters outdoor and these the winner was a Theoben Vanquish in .22 with about 28 fpe. 5 Shot group 5.5.mm CTC

Gert

Question to Ammion(Paul)
I was going to register to You forum to see see what is going on in Your part of the world but got the feeling that it is just for people living in za.
Could have been interesting to follow up what shooter mates from WC 2011 are up to now when they are back home.

Regards
Jens L

Jens,
People from all over the world are already on the forum. All you have to do is register. The AR fraternity in South Africa is very active in using this forum to swop ideas and to promote the different facets. There is also an excellent Technical Section with lots of members we are keen to give advise.

Under the Benchrest Section you will b e able to see from our scores who is bleeding and who is smiling. We have three competitions coming up in September and score are posted as they become available.

Gert

Sounds good, I´ll do the reg. soon

Jens

Hi Jens

All are welcome to join, no matter where in the world they live
If they share our passion, they are more than welcome
Hope to see you there soon

Regards
Cuan

Back