1/16" or 1/8" dot for 1000yd scope

A

Alan Witter

I have built a Dasher for my first try at 1000 yd. competition benchrest. It seemed that on my one visit to Williamsport, that most shooters used 1/8" dots, but I might be wrong. Since I will use the scope to also try 1000 yd. plus prairie dog attempts, a 1/16" dot might be better in this case, but might it be too small for the 1000yd. match shooting? I have shot in only one practice 1000 yd. match, so I have virtually no first-hand knowledge.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks. Alan Witter :)

Alan

I use a 1/8" dot on a couple of my LR scopes and there are times when it gets lost in the clutter. I would imagine that a 1/16" dot would be hard to find when the brass has to fly.

I now prefer a crosshair, such as the Leupold fine duplex.

FWIW

Ray

Definitely no smaller than 1/8 min dot. That's only 1.25" at 1000 yds.

Dots?????

Alan- although there are dot scopes that are used. The fine cross hair is the preferred reticle.

I use a fine crosshair with a 1/16" dot at a 1000 yards and have no problems.

You mentioned Prairie Dawgs....... IME neither the 1/8 nor the 1/16 work on the prairie, either dot just becomes a timothy head or a leaf :) in other words you can't find it unless it's moving. You'll need a heavier crosshair for dual use.

al

Neither, I prefer the Nightforce NRR1 recticule even though it is a bit busy. Since I don't dial for for wind but hold off, it make hold offs very simple.

I use a NF for 1k and praire dogs out to 3k and a 1/8" dot works fine. At 3k the dot is a little big but for the one time a year I go out there it works well.

I've used a number of 1/8" dots and duplex and fine CH at 1k. I'd really like to try a 1/4" dot. 2 1/2" black dot in the center of a 4" white square sounds pretty good but I have not tried it, yet.
Anybody tried it?

Jay

Alan

Our targets out here changed this year from a square to a large circle.If your targets are similar the dots work very well.
I also think like Jay,Idaho does but would go even bigger to 1/3 MOA if it was an option.
Lynn

The Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LR-D I used a couple of weeks ago in a 1000yd. any/any LR prone match has a 1/4 min. dot that worked fine with the LR target's 44" dia. black bull. I wouldn't want to go with a smaller dot for target work where the bull is black, but would go with a fine duplex like Leupold's instead if the scope was going to be expected to do double duty as a varmint rig.

It doesn't matter which dot you use, it still doesn't give you a definite aiming point...

Crosshair/duplex is IT IMO...I used to use dots, but now by far prefer a crosshair.

Alan, were you at the 1000yd BR class?

YMMV,
JB

Gentleman it boils down to personal preference. For 1K dots or cross hair is fine, but a small dot can be disadvantage.

Con

Back