wsm

G

Greg Fowl

I've a .25 WSSM-useless- and will convert it to a WSM. Question is: Will I have to shoot this single shot( mag lenght) and which would you vote on: .270 0r .300. I have these cals. covered with .280, .360, .260, etc. I just want to eliminate the nightmare of the ssms. The gun is a classic, well made, good wood etc. Thanks for your reply. V/R Greg

I know nothing about the ssm and very little about the wsm.
So what is the nightmare of which you speak regarding the ssm?

I know nothing about the ssm and very little about the wsm.
So what is the nightmare of which you speak regarding the ssm?

The ssm case is too short to properly grab the casewalls, bolt thrust is horrendous and the actions get sticky quickly.

270WSM with Barnes 130gr TTSX's rolling at 3200 is a freakin' sledgehammer.

al

I have a 270 WSM I can push 130gr buulets to 3,400 fps with a stiff load of mag pro.
But 1 complaint I have with my 270 WSM is 3 shots and my bbl is HOT ! Its a 3 shot rifle period .

Vern
The ssm brass is extremely thick.The necks measure the same thickness as most 50 bmg brass at 0.020 - 0.022 so you have to hammer the reloads to seal the chamber or you collapse cases.
The original poster can turn his necks but at the high end 0.022 if you took 0.006 off each side you get a huge clearance requiring constant annealing to avoid split necks.It is best to order up a reamer set up for 0.012 thick necks and simply turn them.
To fit the case into a magazine the overall length of the 223 wssm loaded with 55 grain factory ammo is the same as the 243 wssm loaded with 100 grain power points.You barely see the bullet on the 243wssm because they have most of it inside the case and into the powder.
If you buy a reamer after suffering through the initial nightmare it works pretty well but unfortunately most hunters are so frustrated by this point they give up.

I would go 300 wsm with a long freebore at 0.240 and shoot 190 Sierras in front of 62 grains of H4350 using a CCI BR2 primer in Norma brass.I have been using 64.4 grains of H4350 with the 187 BIB bullets and after 3 firings the brass still hasnt required any setting back at all.My reamer has 0.287 freebore but that is not safe for a hunting rifle as you can pull the 190 grain boattail bullets out with two fingers.The neck is barely holding onto them.The 187's work because they are flat based bullets.
Waterboy

Edit: I don't think my combo would fit into the magazine.Factory 100 grain ammo measures 2.145 inches and my 300 with the long freebore measures 3.220

Last edited:
I have a 6.5-wssm.....301 neck............I turned the necks to get down to the .301... I had the bolt thrust, sticky bolt...ect...problems. I have HAMMERED this brass many times with stout loads......prob last forever! Annealing the brass went a long way in solving some of the issues. Just can't get by the non-ejection thing!!!!!

I just finished my first year with the WSM case..my 300 HG......The brass is wonderfull, and I think with a little more time with this chambering I should be able to figure it out.

Last edited:
Back