Wrong Kelby Tall rings

Markhor

I ordered some extra high Kelby rings and the bottom half is two pieces, unlike the standard Kelbys. Is this how the tall rings are or did they send me rings for a rimfire? Can someone please advise.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

Got a set of Kelbly Panda 2-screw standard height 30 mm rings several months ago. They were the new 3-piece design too. The removable side piece can be used on a standard Davidson base dovetail or rotated 180 degrees for use on a rimfire rail. Hope that helps.

Thanks Zdog,

This is the first time I am seeing the Kelby rings in this configuration. I hope the 3rd piece does not come loose on the the 30BR. The one piece ones just seem so much stronger, don't know why Kelby changed the design.

Ed

I called Kelbys this morning, spoke to a very helpfull person that confirmed that this is indeed the new design feature that was incorporated a year ago. The 3rd piece can be rotated to mount on rimfire bases if needed. The new design makes it easier to install & uninstall the rings. The design is as strong as the orignal one piece design. I was told to tighten the bottom screws as tight as possible. The ring top screws need to be torqued at a maximum of 15lbs.

Ed

Buch of new guys here. Also old guys with failing facilities. I'm in camp #2. Sooo... is that 15 inch pounds, or 15 foot pounds?

Foot pounds will strip the screws before you ever get close to 15. Inch pounds. The only place that foot pounds applies in BR is in screwing on a barrel.

David

I have a set of these rings on my 30br and they have seen about 2,000rnds in a 13.5# setup with no issues. Very solid.
Mike

Thanks Zdog,

This is the first time I am seeing the Kelby rings in this configuration. I hope the 3rd piece does not come loose on the the 30BR. The one piece ones just seem so much stronger, don't know why Kelby changed the design.

Ed

They are sort of made like the old Jewell rings...with the third piece that tightens down against the rail. I always liked the Jewell rings better. I think it's an improvement. Greg

Last edited:
Back