Winchester 1885 220 swift 2nd trip to range today

Worker

Adjusted the "Zero Stop " its on the money at 100 yds. Shooting 55gr Speer TNT ,some one on FB posted his accurate loads out of his 220 swift. Those loads out of my new rifle shot poorly ,in fact so does factory ammo and all my loads. Now its been dang hot here in Wild Nevada . Maybe I'm seating bullets out to far? So far powders have been W-W760 and Re#16 . The forearm on my rifle isn't free floated. This is first time I've ever shot a falling block rifle,seems to take some getting use to. Thinking of buying some 50 gr Nosler BT bullets . )-:

Boat tails won't buy you anything. Try some Berger 50 or 55 grain flat base target. If it won't shoot those, it won't shoot.

Do plenty of research before doing anything to that forearm. You may have some luck trying various placements of the forearm (or even barrel) on the rest.

I sanded out my forearm for clearance and bedded it to the support thingy. Can’t remember if I bedded the rear stock.

220 swift

Ive got a old model 70 swift that likes 55 gr. sierras and imr 4064. You would think the twist would be slow for a 55 gr. but not that one. Doug

Winchester 1885 220 swift

This firearm is a different animal than a bolt action rifle. Have to grip it just right,minimal pressure on forearm. Trigger is being worked on by a smith that specializes in these rifles in Missouri. Free floating the forearm now.

After I applied what I learned on internet about this rifles character

I got one tight 5 shot group under MOA at 100yds. Resting it with hand between forearm and sand bag,minimal downward pressure on rear of stock. But I wasn't comfortable. Other shooters said I must free float the forearm( Just finished doing that) and send trigger to a gunsmith that specializes in these rifle and then it will be a consistent tack driver. So trigger now is in tornado country and its a waiting game now

Worker,

I had best accuracy placing the very rear of the forearm,, right next to the receiver, on the front rest. Hand very lightly on the forearm in front of the rest.

Grouping -

tell us what your groupings look like. vertical, horizontal, round scattered mostly left, three together with one high one low etc. also what other specifics you can tell us. Remember the order of shot groupings dispersion? Bench technique is totally different than hunting. The least amount of pressure you have to use (and still control the firearm) generally will results in more consistent groupings.

Still pressure sensitive

Still need to develop a Consistent bench tech. Groups are round about MOA with flyers )-: I'm being told to rest just in front of receiver,hard against shoulder and lite grip on forearm in front of rest. Currently I have a Zeiss V6 5-30x50mm scope on it and I'm wondering if I'm wasting that scope on this beautiful rifle ? So far its just "marginally accurate" for a varmint/predator rifle. As it sits now all my bolt guns will shoot circles around this rifle now. But the trigger is now sweet ,and forearm is floated.

Worker,

Mine is a 222. Seems to shoot 50gr Bergers and the red tipped Hornadys quite well. Can't remember what powder I was using. Will have to look. My rifle only weighs a little over 6 lbs, combine that with a two pc stock,,,,, it is very sensitive to gun handling.

The bore in mine appears to be lapped. Very nice rifle.

Winchester 1885 220 swift

Triple dues cool Went out in NV desert and shot some tight groups in field conditions,I now know how to grip it and its a shooter.

Back